Trouble with working in round

flyinghigh

Question

So I've been on a hat-making spree for some friends of mine. Hats and I... well... we don't get along too well.

My biggest issue is joining rounds. I can do it, but I never, ever, ever, ever have a straight line of where the "seam" is. It's always a line that goes in a sort of diagonal. Is this normal for crochet? Because it doesn't look good. And even if I do the method where it's a continuous spiral, and I use a marker to keep track of the first stitch, and I'm just working the same number of stitches around and around, the joining place is still WAY off. It's frustrating because I like to use different colors but it never comes out looking nice.

The hats come out of the experience being alright.. size wise and everything, but I just hate those joining spots!! Does anyone have this problem or am I crazy(er). :D

6 answers to this question

You are not crazy. All my hats have this same issue and it's normal. I believe there are other methods for joining with sl st that hide it better but I currently can't remember any. I recall a thread a few months back where someone posted some awesome links. If I can find it I will repost here for you.

:cheerYou know, that is just how a join in crochet goes unless you do something different.

What stitch are you working in?

If SC or DC, before you join, take the hook from the loop and put it into the place you want to join. Now put the hook back into the loop and pull it through.

You have made a SL ST at the back instead of at the front of your work.

This makes the join less visible.

If you are making a hat in DCs, instead of increasing into the place below the CH3, you can do the increase into the place behind the CH3 at the end of the row, into the bit that looks like a stitch but isnt.

This will help the join to go straight.

When you are not increasing, you can work to all but the last movement of the last DC and do the same into the bit that looks like a stitch but isnt, then YO and draw through the last 2 loops on the hook.

This helps to disguise the join but may not make it look straight.

Personally, I do not bother using either method because the join does not bother me at all, I just put it to the back.

Step One, invisible join of SC in the round

Here is a link to the SC join.

You can look at my whole album if you want to.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I think the biggest reason that the seams go off on the diagonal is because we usually put the 2dc in the first st. This just sets the seam off.

The other reason I've found that they go crooked is because of the way that it's joined. There's a noticeable difference with you go thru the center of the stitch (with the V on top and the back hump below the hook).

I just usually avoid that whole issue, and do a cluster stitch, or use a strand of fancy fur in it, these both hide the joining terrifically, but for a straight dc, or sc, follow the tip rosered has posted, i have used that now and then, and it does seem to be a neater join!

Archived