CGOA 2011 Design Competition Winners

Amy

CGOA is pleased to announce the winners of our 2011 Design Competition. First, a big thank you to our wonderful judges:

Judges

Marcy Smith, editor of Interweave Crochet magazine

Kathleen Sams, ambassador for Coats&Clark

Drew Emborsky, the Crochet Dude.

All entries were evaluated equally in a blind judging across a range of qualities including: design appeal, use of stitches, color, selection of materials, workmanship, finishing, appearance and functionality as indicated.

We had more entries than ever this year, submitted by a number of very talented designers. Please check the CGOA blog (cgoanow.blogspot.com) within the next week or so for a link to a flickr pool so you can see photos of all the fabulous entries!

Winners

Due to time constraints while at Chain Link, we are unable to post photos of winning entries today. We hope to get this done Friday or Saturday morning at the latest. We apologize for the delay, but we thought it important to let everyone know who all the winners are as quickly as possible!

$1,000 Grand Prize Winner sponsored in Crochet Partners and Interweave Press: #29, So Many Motifs, So Little Time by Diane Halpern of Pittsburgh, PA

Here’s praise from the judges:

Marcy Smith said: “Deliciously vintage garment that’s ripped from the runway.”

From Drew Emborsky: “Amazing blend of freeform and on-trend fashion . . . Exquisite!!!”

And Kathleen Sams sums it up: “Beautiful use of freeform suitable for all. Runway fashion at its best.”

FancifulFashion (sponsored by Tulip Co, makers of exceptional tools including Etimo cushion grip crochet hooks and Carry T): fancy adult garments and accessories, including gowns, dresses and evening wear.

First Place, $300: #09, Modern Victorian Black Crochet Dress by Victoria Johnsen Carrington of Windsor Heights, IA

Second Place, $200: #38, Queen of Fall by Linda Skuja of Riga, Latvia

Third Place: $100: #94, Flower Princess by Willena Nanton of New Rochelle, NY

Fashion (sponsored by Tahki Stacy Charles, bringing you fine yarn lines Tahki, S Charles, Filatura Di Crosa and Loop-d-Loop): for women or men, including sweaters, tops, jacketsandskirts.

First Place, $300: #60, Rasta Rose Jacket by Tammy Hildebrand, of Kernersville, NC

Second Place, $200: #70, Spa Tunic by Susan Lowman of Prescott Valley, AZ

Third Place: $100: #39, Stonecrop by Stephanie Hatfield of Gilbertsville, KY

Accessories (sponsored by WEBS, America’s Yarn Store): including shawls, socks, scarves, hats, bags, belts and jewelry.

First Place, $300: #43, Birds N Blossoms Shawl by Kathryn White of Apache Junction, AZ

Second Place, $200: #69, Lucy Shawl by Sandy Gold of Frederick, MD

Third Place: $100: #108, Poptastic Purse by Janice Lonnroth of LaGrange, IL

Small Wonders (sponsored by Boye and the Crochet Dude brand of crochet tools and accessories): anything small scale, including baby items, toys, amigurumi and small décor items.

First Place, $300: #81,Hope, the Christmas Angel, by Susan Pendleton of Kerrville, TX

Second Place, $200: #12, Baby Cardigan by Sherri Hondorp of Poughquag, NY

Third Place: $100: #102, Vegetable Garden Playmat by Laurinda Reddig of Camas, WA

Afghans (sponsored by Caron International and BuyCaron.com): any and all afghans, throws, blankets and bed or sofa covers.

First Place, $300: #103, Mystery Machine Afghan by Laurinda Reddig of Camas, WA

Second Place, $200: #50, Happy Hexagons Throw by Shari White of Rockaway, NJ

Third Place: $100: #52, Wild Irish Roses Throw by Shari White of Rockaway, NJ

Thread Crochet (sponsored by FaveCrafts/Prime Publishing, offering diverse crochet e-newsletters, e-books and patterns at FaveCrafts.com): anything made with crochet thread, including doilies, décor and accessories.

First Place, $300: #84, Christening Dress by Carol Booth of Teaticket, MA

Second Place, $200: #46, Irish Mystique Doily by Kathryn White of Apache Junction, AZ

Third Place: $100: #48, Chantilly Doily by Kathryn White of Apache Junction, AZ

Artistic Expressions (sponsored by Leisure Arts, bring you the art of everyday living): designs more artistic rather than functional in nature, including free-form and mixed media pieces, hangings, sculpture and wearable art.

First Place, $300: #113, Patricia’s Tree of Life by Patricia Williams of Ozone Park, NY

Second Place, $200: #66, Split Infinitive by Lori Carlson of Hillsborough, NC

Third Place: $100: #26, Lady of Marrakesh by Julia Bryant of Toronto, Canada

DesigningVashti $100 Special Technique Award for outstanding use of alternate crochet techniques and construction (including Tunisian, Broomstick and Hairpin): #108, Poptastic Purse by Janice Lonnroth of LaGrange, IL

Crochet Liberation Front $100 Peoples’ Choice Award (to be chosen on site by attendee voting; winner will be announced at end of conference)

Amy,

Did you see me up there on that list? Wow! I have no words.

Actually I do have two words for you - thank you. Wait, they should be bigger - THANK YOU! I know I wouldn't have made the big push to finish my purse and send it off if you hadn't encouraged me at Stitches Midwest last month. It meant a lot to me.

I just want to say that it was one of my most Thrilling moments ever when they announced that my Shawl took 1st place in the accessories Division.

Then to have 2 of my doilies place in Thread divison was just the icing on the cake. My feet still haven't touched the ground.

Janice your purse was just fantastic. Heard a lot of nice comments on it at the display showing off the designs tonight. Be very proud of yourself....

To all the people who won awards Congratulations!!!! :yay

And all of those who entered great job, you made the judges jobs very, very hard. :yes

Sure, I'd love to!

Here it is in the UPS store where I stood and crocheted for 20 minutes to add the latch closure. I didn't stop working on it until there were literally minutes before the truck was leaving!

post-14394-135897699012_thumb.jpg

This is the best detail photo I could manage within the size constraints and trying to figure out my new computer

post-14394-135897699022_thumb.jpg

A view of the lining made from a discarded curtain

post-14394-135897699024_thumb.jpg

It kind of has two linings. I used plastic needlepoint canvas to create a rigid form and the outside of the plastic canvas "box" needed to be lined because you can see through the openings in the poptabs. So it is covered with a pink sparkily fabric I had on hand.

It will eventually go to my mom as a very late mother's day gift. :hook

This was my first time entering anything like this, and I'm totally blown away that both my items placed 3rd in 'Small Wonders' and 1st in 'Afghans'! I totally know what you mean about your feet not touching the ground! :c9

Your Afghan is pretty awesome.... It was a hit when they brought it out to be seen... They had a lot of fun showing it off.

and your small wonders entry was just precious. Wonderful job on both... and Congrats....

This was my first time entering anything like this, and I'm totally blown away that both my items placed 3rd in 'Small Wonders' and 1st in 'Afghans'! I totally know what you mean about your feet not touching the ground! :c9

Wow. Thanks so much for the report! :hug I've been dying to hear how things went. Wish I could be there!

Your Afghan is pretty awesome.... It was a hit when they brought it out to be seen... They had a lot of fun showing it off.

and your small wonders entry was just precious. Wonderful job on both... and Congrats....

Here is a link to 1st version I made for my son. The version I entered was basically the same but without the brocoli and tomato plants.

http://rememberingrowan.blogspot.com/2009/04/griffins-crocheted-garden.html

And here is the Mystery Machine as it was for my son's Birthday, with an open Window so the kids could pose for pictures:

And the final version with all the characters in the window:

post-47975-135897699061_thumb.jpg

post-47975-135897699066_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to have my daughter available to share last nights joy for me. They were also kind enough to let her take a picture of me by my shawl. I think the picture depicts just how happy I was.... feet still havent hit the floor. If I don't come down by Monday I could fly home without the airlines..................

post-709-135897699087_thumb.jpg

post-709-135897699091_thumb.jpg

Woah! I just heard that my Mystery Machine Afghan got "The People's Choice Award". *blink, blink* Is this true?

Here is a link to 1st version I made for my son. The version I entered was basically the same but without the brocoli and tomato plants.

http://rememberingrowan.blogspot.com/2009/04/griffins-crocheted-garden.html

And here is the Mystery Machine as it was for my son's Birthday, with an open Window so the kids could pose for pictures:

And the final version with all the characters in the window:

Archived