Hook Size Question

ManfaMae

Question

Has anyone tried the pattern for the "Snot Owl/Penguin" on Ravelry?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snot-owl---snot-penguin

I am confused about the hook size on the pattern. It says 3.00 mm and to use 100% cotton yarn. I don't have a hook that small, but it seems like it would be too little for the kind of yarn in the picture...It doesn't look like they used thread. What do you think? Also, I think the person that designed the pattern is Danish. Would their terms be the same as US?

Thanks!

Samantha

6 answers to this question

Here at Crochetville, Amy S has posted a reference list of hook sizes in U.S. and metric numbers.

A 3.0 mm hook is somewhere btw a C and a D hook. Cotton yarn comes in many weights, just like wool yarn, so it's completely believeable that there could be a sport weight or similar to fit the 3.0-mm hook.

DCM

I can believe it. A lot of ami patterns use a very small hook for the yarn so that you don't have any holes or gaps in the project. If you're not comfortable using a hook that small you could always try it with a bigger hook and see what happens.

I can believe it. A lot of ami patterns use a very small hook for the yarn so that you don't have any holes or gaps in the project. If you're not comfortable using a hook that small you could always try it with a bigger hook and see what happens.

As always excellent advice from RoseRed!

A 3.0 falls in between a C hook and a D hook, not generally available in US. In UK it is an 11. I do have a 3.0 hook I acquired on line that is a European hook. I have used it with cotton, but not the size 10 thread (which is the commonest thread we are used to seeing) that we use with steel hooks, and is too small for the worsted cotton. It worked well with a size 3 or 5 thread (similar to Patons Grace). I am not familiar with the pattern you are talking about, I just had some knowledge of the 3.0 hook.

Archived