Edgerydoo

AngelRoseLite

I would like to purchase one for some flannel blankies that i want to add an edging to, but I have no idea how to choose. I don't want the ones for the squares that are pieced together to form one blankie. I want one that will simply pierce one piece of fabric on four sides, a baby size blanket. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I think I saw on their website that there are those that make a rounded edge and others that make a squared edge. Am I understanding right? Thank you so much in advance.

I have almost all of the edgerydoos and I just love them. She has one template specifically for flannel. She is here on the ville and will answer any questions you have. Her siggy is MarleenCrochets if you look in the advertisers show and tell she has a sweet heart blanket she done . I think that it is well worth the money and so easy to use. Check it out you even get an instructional dvd to go with your purchase. Its very helpful.

I also love my edgerydoo! Currently, I have the fleece edgerydoo, the one with the rounded corners - but my squares are in the mail! If you read this quick link on the edgerydoo site, I think it will answer your questions.

I love the look of the thread edged flannel receiving blankets - but I hate to have to hem the edges. So I settle on the fleece - it goes much faster since you don't have to finish the edges! And a single layer of fleece is a nice weight.

I think you will be happy no matter what you choose!

• 1 month later...
just wondering what the difference is between the edgerydoo and you just taking a hammer and nail and making your own holes?

A hammer and nail would work I suppose, but that is definitely the hard way of doing it. The edgerydoo has an awl that you press with your hand. One hand to hold the template, one hand to hold the awl and poke the holes. You would have to accurately measure and mark where you want your holes if you do it with a hammer and nail. That would take forever. The edgerydoo template does that for you, all you have to do is square your fabric.

The edgerydoo just makes it all so much easier. And on top of being easy, it is FAST, and looks much more professional had I poked the holes myself. Well worth the money.

I have considered purchasing this for some time now. I would love to get some blankets material to do this. How do you square your fabric? Do you put one of their squares down and trace the outline then cut it out? Can you use any size hook to crochet an edge around the blankets? I guess I just do not know enough about this. I have talked to the owner about this but thought, why not just make my own holes and save all that money? If you can help me to understand it more and justify spending that--I will consider it. :-) I searched youtube to see if I could find a video to watch. I'm very visual. however, there isn't anything out there. BOO HOO!!!! Thanks so much for your input.

I would like to purchase one for some flannel blankies that i want to add an edging to, but I have no idea how to choose. I don't want the ones for the squares that are pieced together to form one blankie. I want one that will simply pierce one piece of fabric on four sides, a baby size blanket. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I think I saw on their website that there are those that make a rounded edge and others that make a squared edge. Am I understanding right? Thank you so much in advance.

I've never done yarn edging on fleece blankets, so I have no answers; however, Marleen, the owner of Edgery Do is a lovely person here in Atlanta whose email address on the ED website under "Contact," and I'm sure she'd be glad to answer your questions. She also is a member of this forum.

I have almost all of the edgerydoos and I just love them. She has one template specifically for flannel. She is here on the ville and will answer any questions you have. Her siggy is MarleenCrochets if you look in the advertisers show and tell she has a sweet heart blanket she done . I think that it is well worth the money and so easy to use. Check it out you even get an instructional dvd to go with your purchase. Its very helpful.

Since you have most of them, what would you recommend someone buy just to try it out. I would like to do the fleece blankets edged in crochet. There are so many choices, I am not sure which ones to get. What would be a good beginners package of templates? Or can you start out fine with just one?

I have considered purchasing this for some time now. I would love to get some blankets material to do this. How do you square your fabric? Do you put one of their squares down and trace the outline then cut it out? Can you use any size hook to crochet an edge around the blankets? I guess I just do not know enough about this. I have talked to the owner about this but thought, why not just make my own holes and save all that money? If you can help me to understand it more and justify spending that--I will consider it. :-) I searched youtube to see if I could find a video to watch. I'm very visual. however, there isn't anything out there. BOO HOO!!!! Thanks so much for your input.

Squaring the fabric simply means cutting it into a square/rectangular shape - getting the sides even and the corners straight. And to get the selvage ends off. You can do this however you want. I use a rotary cutter and the edgerydoo template so I can get the rounded corners. You would have to square the fabric no matter what method you use to poke the holes.

Hook size: Well, I use a size C hook to crochet the foundation row, the row where you are actually bringing the yarn through the holes. Actually, edgerydoo sent me the correct size hook with my order. After the foundation hole, you can switch to any size hook, appropriate to the yarn/stitch you are using.

With your order, edgerydoo sends a demonstration file, that is heavily loaded with clear pictures of how to use the edgerydoo.

I don't know what else to say to convince you to buy one and try it. I LOVE mine. It makes the whole process fast and easy, and allows me to crank out the blankets for Project Linus. It is worth every penny. If I ever lost this one, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Since you have most of them, what would you recommend someone buy just to try it out. I would like to do the fleece blankets edged in crochet. There are so many choices, I am not sure which ones to get. What would be a good beginners package of templates? Or can you start out fine with just one?

If you want to make fleece blankets, I would start out with just the fleece template, made for edging bigger pieces of fleece. On the order form, it is the Edgerydoo kit list as the "Original Triangular Template" #001K. If you see yourself wanting to make the "quilts" like on the edgerydoo website, then you might consider the squares. Or one square. Everything on her order form is designed to be used with fleece, except the Edgerydoo Flannel Kit. The flannel kit is the larger triangular template with the square corners. The fleece kit has the rounded corners. Hope this helps!

I started out with the original triangle one. Loved it, like others say she does have an instructional dvd. Can be used in computer or in dvd player. And written instructions. And she is very helpful if you need help. Still waiting to see if she comes out with different shapes. I did a cardinals blanket with the squares and it turned out beautiful.

Squaring the fabric simply means cutting it into a square/rectangular shape - getting the sides even and the corners straight. And to get the selvage ends off. You can do this however you want. I use a rotary cutter and the edgerydoo template so I can get the rounded corners. You would have to square the fabric no matter what method you use to poke the holes.

What does squaring the fabric mean and to selvage ends off? How do you do this? What kinds of tools do you use? This is something I'd really like to try. Do you know if anyone has video's that I can watch how this is done? Just what I need, to get myself into MORE fun projects. LOL!

I am not sure how else to phrase it... you need your fabric to be cut evenly on the edges, you don't want to have jagged edges. The selvage edge of the fabric are from the factory, a bit curling or off from the other fabric. It doesn't act the same way as the rest of the fabric when it comes to washing it. The selvage edge is pretty obvious, once you look at the fabric. This edge needs to be taken off. As I said, I use a rotary cutter to cut the fabric.

If you google "squaring fabric" lots of videos and descriptions come up.

If you click quote (lower right corner of the post) it will highlight it and open a reply page. It took me a looong time to figure it out. :laugh

And as for the the squaring, when you get say, a piece of fleece, and want to trim it with crochet, its not usually really squared off at the corners, nor straight down the sides. Using a straight edge and a rotary cutter (looks like a small pizza cutter, but with a larger handle and sharper blade, heh) or scissors you cut off the extra against the straight edge. And then the Edgerydoo can be applied! :)

Oh, craft-enabling is rampant, RAMPANT I TELL YOU!! I'm very happy about that, hehe.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Marleen at Edgery Doo is awesome. She spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with me one day and even sent me a sample swatch with my order because I was so clueless. But in the end, despite all of her efforts, I could not get a good result. The fleece always moved too much and with the squares, I could not get the piece of cut fabric back under the template in the same position when switching from the cutting mat to the mat used to poke the holes. It always seemed to turn into a trapezoid!

So I use my rounded template most. I still don't bother poking the holes. I cut with the template and then mark the holes with a sharpie. Then I use a 1/16" hole punch to make the holes. So to each their own! Good luck.

• 2 months later...

You might want to try skip stitch blades that fit in rotary cutters. This is what I use to make all of my blankets and patterns. You just go along each side of the fleece and it makes the crochet holes.

Kay

• 2 weeks later...

I read this thread last week. The Edgerydoo seems like something I would really like. Been thinking about gertting one for awhile.

Last week was my birthday and I was told we weren't going to celebrate it then but later on. Long story short my family got together this weekend as a surprise and had a little get together with cake and goodies etc.

My oldest son and I talk almost everyday by phone--as he lives a few hours away. When it came time to open my presents---lo and behold he bought me an Edergydoo kit!!!!!!!! Whatta surprise!!! :D

Now I have to watch the video and learn how to do it. It don't seem very hard to do. Need to practice on some fleece scraps.;)

Archived