Who should I talk to?

krazycrocheter

There may also be local chapters of national charitable organizations like Project Linus that can help you with re: to the hospital donations. Some facilities will take items from individuals; others want them from an established resource. Local churches or synagogues, Women's Auxiliary or Women's Institute groups, etc. may also have a program already up and running you can contribute to.

Good luck!

You can call and ask (wording it exactly like you did here ;)), or go in and inquire at a front desk.

For hospitals, you may wish to start with Volunteer Services. For nursing homes, maybe try their Patient Advocacy Administrator or a volunteer division if they have it. (These are just my guesses.) However, if you call and get someone helpful on the main number and explain to them your desire to donate, they might know exactly with whom you need to speak.

I think it is WONDERFUL of you to be donating in your community. Best of luck to you! :manyheart

For items at a hospital that I wanted to donate I called the department, like the NICU.

What I mostly did last winter was make hats, scarves,and boot socks then I took them to the food shelf. The volunteers there knew the families and knew who really needed the extra help in keeping warm. In early December I made up a bunch of things that could be given as gifts and gave them to the food shelf to let the families go through and find a gift to give to someone on their list.

While I was getting chemo I was crocheting chemo caps. I really wanted to donate them to the place where I was getting my chemo but at first did not see a display of free caps. So I began to look online for other organizations to donate them to instead. Then one day at my oncologist's office I did see a display of free chemo caps and asked about donating mine. I was told to just bring them in. But I hestitated feeling they must have some kind of guidelines. One day I spotted the person (a man) who I felt was a manager (of the clerical staff) and asked him if they had someone specific that handled donations of caps. They did and he introduced me to her that day. She gave me the information that I was looking for. So now I have a bunch made and soon will be donating them to my oncologist's office.

I would ask specifically for the person in charge of receiving donated handicrafted items.

Good Luck. Have fun. It is such fun to make something for someone else whether it be a friend or a complete stranger.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived