Tried & tried & tried

ReniC

Again, I spent all of yesterday, from 7am- 4pm, trying to learn the plain ol' knit-stitch and did not succeed! I thought; learn the stitch, make a dishcloth to start and go from there.

For some reason, I cannot get through the 2nd row without every stitch being a different size, dropping at least 3-4 stitches (out of 20) :( and my tension stinks! (How many times has that been expressed from new knitters? LOL)

I used size 10 needles and also tried bamboo needles, cotton yarn and watching KnittingHelp.com videos.

I have no problem with casting on. Got that down great, evenly too. For the first time ever, I have turned into a clumsy, butter fingered oaf when it comes to knitting! :ohdear This same reason is why I never learned knitting in the past. (many attempts over the years)

DH says it's because my mind is still "fuzzy" from being in the hospital. He tries to be supportive, and I so appreciate that but, it is frustrating since I have never had such a challenge before.

Oh- and the reason for the sudden obsession, I want to make this blanket for a new grand baby due in Oct. And I want to make it Bad!

Guess I will just keep trying. :sigh I'm getting too old to give up.

Keep trying. Really! I learned to cast on and knit when I was really small, so I don't remember the learning, but I promise..just keep going. If you can use acrylic with the bamboo, it might be less slippery and the stitches will be less likely to move. And, no matter the size, the shape or tension...just keep knitting. You will learn how to tension as you go. Its hard until your hands get it, so keep trying.

Casting can be the tough part, heh, so you've got half the battle won!

In-person lessons. Most yarn shops will even do a one-on-one session for 15, 30 or maybe 45 minutes for a fixed fee. It sounds like you learn the way I do: physically, not visually. Videos are nice once you've learned something, to remind you how to do it. But to LEARN it in the first place, in-person teaching is the way to go.

Find a yarn shop and ask. Even Joann's might have a knitting instructor on the staff.

DCM

Keep trying. Really! I learned to cast on and knit when I was really small, so I don't remember the learning, but I promise..just keep going. If you can use acrylic with the bamboo, it might be less slippery and the stitches will be less likely to move. And, no matter the size, the shape or tension...just keep knitting. You will learn how to tension as you go. Its hard until your hands get it, so keep trying.

Casting can be the tough part, heh, so you've got half the battle won!

Anne- Thank you for all the great encouragement. It always helps when someone is cheering on. I practiced again this evening for a few hours and got to Row 3. Albeit, the stitches were way too tight and not even but, I am very pleased to be able to succeed to this row. More on the horizon tomorrow. :yes

In-person lessons. Most yarn shops will even do a one-on-one session for 15, 30 or maybe 45 minutes for a fixed fee. It sounds like you learn the way I do: physically, not visually. Videos are nice once you've learned something, to remind you how to do it. But to LEARN it in the first place, in-person teaching is the way to go. Find a yarn shop and ask. Even Joann's might have a knitting instructor on the staff. DCM

Hi DCM- I would so love to be able to go to a LYS but I live too far out of my small town, plus trips in are mostly for groceries or dr. appts. We do have a tiny LYS but their class times do not coincide with what I could attend. So, I rely on books, videos and the Internet. No craft stores, Joann's or Michaels either. Sad huh? I will persevere though.

Excellent! I came back to knitting a few years ago, and made the first non-square thing ever - a scrubby mitt for the bath. This year, I am making socks. I also re-taught myself to crochet several years ago, and have been working with that.

For me, if I just keep going, I see the progress as I continue. You'll see the stitches get even, and you'll find the best way, for you, of holding the yarn, too. Bonus? If you get to a big enough square, you have your first dishcloth! If its acrylic, it scrubs really well, hehe. Then, cast on another and you'll see the improvement as you start.

I didn't look at the pattern for the blanket closely; it is a cute blanket. When I get home from work, I will and see how you could apply what you are doing now.

My mother was a master at crochet and knitting being taught by nuns in a convent in the Austrian alps when she was recuperating from Scarlet Fever. She and my paternal grandmother taught me to crochet with no problem as a girl and I still love it just as much to this day. However, when Mother tried to teach me to knit...... it just would not work for me and to this day I have been stymied by it. Sadly she can no longer remember due to the Alzheimer's. Now, I make her many crochet projects.

Keep on trying. Maybe see if there is someone in the neighborhood that would be able to work with you.

I know when I get stuck on something, I watch YouTube and I can usually figure it out.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Sorry to hear about the lack of yarn shops, Joann's, etc.

Next idea: public library, church circles (even if it's not your own church), other volunteer organizations. Approach each one in turn.

Personally, I'd start with the library. Many libraries have volunteers, and among those volunteers there is bound to be someone who would LOVE to help you get it together with knitting. Might be a little strange at first to her (probably "her") to be asked via the library, but given how many books I've checked out of my local library system, it makes sense to me. I'm also a library volunteer, and almost nothing fazes me anymore.

Many churches have quilting / knitting / service-oriented groups of (again, almost entirely) women who do good deeds and make quilts, warm blankets, etc. for those in need. Ask around and become a "peripheral member" for a few months. State up front that you are trying to improve your knitting skills. Make a crocheted item or two in "exchange" for the help you receive, out of yarn that fits in with their mission. I've seen yarn from RHSS to 100% good wool, depending on the intended recipient, so clarify the intended recipient(s) and then go for it!

Other volunteer organizations can often be located by searching the Internet, beginning at http://volunteer.org and drilling down from the home page. Sadly, that home page looks kind of spammy, but it's a genuine volunteer matching service, so don't give up right at the home page.

Knitting is a "traditional" women's skill, so seeking out other women through "traditional" means--library, churches, volunteer groups--should work as a back-up plan. There's someone out there who would just LOVE to help you. Believe it! :)

DCM

You gals are so good to me- encouraging me along. Thank you so much. Especially the suggestions all of you have. It helps greatly.
I knitted 4 rows last night and blew it on the last few stitches! Then tried again- to the 4th row. But, boy are those stitchies tight! More practice today. Going out of town for DH's RA doc appt and guess what? There is a JoAnn store there!
Heaven- I'm in heaven (as she sings going out the door!)
Talk to you again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried more practice rounds on the needles and got to Row 4 but DH got very ill again and then I had a few little bouts of some stuff. I have 3 crochet hooks going and I'm going to squeeze in another practice session after my DD leaves this afternoon. I am showing her how to frost fancy cupcakes this morning- :D After I finish eating a cupcake- I will practice. (I need the cupcake for energy :devil)

Archived