Felted Tote

deanna6812

Here is my first ever felting project. I actually have another felted bag project on the go right now, but I just don't know how I want to finish it yet, so this one took over!

The yarn was found at Value Village (thrift shop) for $3! The only extra yarn I had to buy was the green, so this whole bag cost about $9.00 to make, which is great for pure wool. Given that, I didn't have much choice in the colours, but I think they look okay together. I realized afterward they really are just a stop light (in the wrong order)! Also, the green ended up felting differently from the rest, but it kind of gave the bag a neat shape, so it all worked out in the end.

post-51425-135897693773_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I'm certainly no expert, and I was the same way as you! I just followed instructions I found, and it worked out great! All of the non-green yarn didn't really come out as 'felted' as the green, so I think I might throw it through the wash another couple of times to see if it felts more.

Your bag turned out marvelously! Love the colors and that the wools felted different and gave it a unique shape that you didn't have to plan! Great job!

Great job on this felted bag! May I ask what the name of the pattern is?

I have a bad habit of loosely following a pattern, then making adjustments to make things the way I want them to look!

Here is the pattern I used: http://wildyarn.blogspot.com/2005/10/well-traveled-bag.html

I used a 6 mm hook, and I also decreased the number of rows in the base to 16. Also, I obviously didn't use the pattern idea for the handles, but just did a basic handle. The shape of my bag was completely by accident; the green just felted more than the rest, giving it the shape!

Archived