Ebay Auction

Ok, is it just me or is this seller asking WAY too much money for what is being offered? Read the description too, would ship the lot for an EXTRA $1,000. Am I missing something great here? :think

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lots-Yarn-Baby-Blanket-Patterns-Crochet-Hooks-/280727440068?pt=US_Yarn&hash=item415ca8cac4

The point of saying she'll ship it for $1,000 is that she has no intention of shipping it at all - However, if anyone if foolish enough to pay $1000 to ship it, then she's happy to take the money.

$1200 is a rediculous price for that yarn anyway!

Seems like a lot to me too.....but like I always say.....if she can get someone to pay that kind of money....more power to the seller! (was it PT Barnum that said "there is a sucker born every minute"?)

It's worth a third of her asking price.

Then the $1000 shipping charge would be probably a third for actual shipping and the remainder to cover her time and energy for packing it all up. That's some handling charge!

There is more to this offer than just all of the yarn. She is also including an "old trifold quilt rack." I looked at the picture provided of the quilt rack while it is old it does seem to be in good shape. There are other items included as well. Crochet hooks, knitting needles, some quilt batting, patterns, some Workbasket magazines, and some finished baby blankets. But even with all of this I agree the price is a little too much.

Maybe the seller put "," instead of "."

I do that sometimes as Europe only uses ",", and US systems don't recognize the "," as a divider between dollars and cents.

I'm a yarn and pattern and hook freak but would never even think of paying a ridiculous amount for shipping or even starting at the asking bid. Heck, I try to avoid shipping costs as much as I can. Frankly, I would rather just get yarn than buy blankets already made but that is my little humble opinion.

I would like to know what constitutes "far away within the USA".

LI Roe

Even with the hooks, afghans, quilt rack, etc in there, $1,200 is a lot for yarn, not to mention if you read and look closely, the yarn is in ziploc bags, not in grocery sacks, trash bags but rather ziploc bags, you can't fit much yarn into a ziploc bag.

The ad says she is in Illinois, so I suppose "far away within the USA" would be anything out of easy driving distance within the continental US.

235 skeins of yarn at $3 each (about what I can get it for brand new) would be $705. Those skeins look like they are no longer full skeins, so I wouldn't pay more than $1 a piece for them, if that. I have no use for the batting, or for finished blankets, or unfinished projects. The hooks would be nice, but maybe 5-10 dollars for them. She might do better to divide her stash - each unfinished project with the instructions, yarn, and hook to finish it. Smaller bags of yarns that go together. The pattern books in groups. The finished blankets either individually, or in sets of two that go together. The batting by itself, and the quilt rack by itself or maybe with one or two of the finished blankets.

I'd be surprised if she sells everything at once to the same person. Unless they are buying it for a group.

The ad says she is in Illinois, so I suppose "far away within the USA" would be anything out of easy driving distance within the continental US.

235 skeins of yarn at $3 each (about what I can get it for brand new) would be $705. Those skeins look like they are no longer full skeins, so I wouldn't pay more than $1 a piece for them, if that. I have no use for the batting, or for finished blankets, or unfinished projects. The hooks would be nice, but maybe 5-10 dollars for them. She might do better to divide her stash - each unfinished project with the instructions, yarn, and hook to finish it. Smaller bags of yarns that go together. The pattern books in groups. The finished blankets either individually, or in sets of two that go together. The batting by itself, and the quilt rack by itself or maybe with one or two of the finished blankets.

I'd be surprised if she sells everything at once to the same person. Unless they are buying it for a group.

I looked, and there is quite a bit of other stuff, just not important enough to me to warrant that high price. Im thinking she messed up the dollar decimals, thinking of asking, lol otherwise, a find for someone, wish her luck, but pretty sure she'll have to break it up a bit. My thought too was, instead of ebaying the finished baby ghans, maybe she could donate those to some worthy cause in her area? Ah well, to each his or her own, again, not enough stuff to warrant that kind of price, but at 125.00 bucks, might be more tempting!

Since she relisted it at the same price, I think she actually means the $1,250. It is a lot of stuff, but a lot of it looks like your basic acrylic, nothing special. I know shipping can get expensive, but an extra $1,000 to ship within the country seems pretty excessive. Maybe she really needs the money, I don't know, but I highly doubt she's going to find a buyer at that price.

As someone who used to deal on eBay, you should report her for excessive shipping charges. She is trying to bypass the eBay fee structure because the percentage eBay earns is based on the selling price, NOT including the shipping charges. I hate that dishonesty. I never did that. Even when I was selling my heavy heavy Fenton Art Glass alley cats, I never charged more than $15 shipping.

I reported a person selling 30 cloth diapers with 60 inserts for $60 with $120 shipping last summer :(

I really don't think she's being dishonest with the shipping prices. She doesn't want to ship it.

I think she's asking too much for what she's got but the thing is - no one is forcing us to pay her. Maybe she'll lower her price when she realizes that nobody's going to pay that much.

Archived