New Lion Yarns?

Craftonite

Recently, I was perusing the Lion yarn web site, and they have several new yarns listed, but you can't see all the colors, etc. yet. The web site says to look for an announcement in September (but I want it now!)

Names of the new yarns include:

Jamie (seems to be a reboot of a yarn I don't remember)

Luxe Fur

Martha Stewart Alpaca Blend

Martha Stewart Cotton Hemp

Martha Stewart Exotic Wool Blend

Martha Stewart Glitter eyelash (starting to sense a theme here...)

Martha Stewart Lofty wool blend

Martha Stewart Mambo (doesn't seem to include any actual dancing)

Martha Stewart Roving Wool

Martha Stewart Merino

Silky Twist (what? Did Martha get tired of developing yarns?)

That seems a lot of new yarn to release at one time! I generally like working with Lion yarn, although they can get expensive for larger projects. I'm mostly excited to see the available colors.

Anyone have any additional info on these?

I haven't seen anything yet. Haven't been on their website but will check it out.

The Jamie yarn (if it the same as before) was baby pompadour and baby type yarn. Somewhere in my stash I have some old skeins of it.

Wonder if the stores will be carrying it in September? I may go over to Michaels and AC Moore today (on the way to see my mom), will see if they know anything about it. Both carry some Lion Brand.

I can imagine the price (seems to me anytime they attach a famous name to yarns, the prices seem to be higher).

Thanks for the info.

LI Roe

• 3 weeks later...

Just received an e mail from Lion Brand and they show each of the new eight yarns from Martha Stewart and you can click to see patterns using the yarns. It also shows a new Martha Stewart Knit and Weave Loom Kit that you can order and also click on to see how what you could make.

LI Roe

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Martha yarns. WAY overpriced for the little amount you get. one of them looks like festive fur repackaged and with less yardage and higher price. Another one is on a cardboard spool but there isn't enough yardage to even cover the cardboard. Looked like a 1/2 empty roll. And don't get me started about the one with just enough yardage to make a braided necklace. For shame on Lion for this.

I saw the Martha line at Joanns too....pretty yarn, but very small skeins, especially the eyelash yarn....

That was my impression too during my most recent visit to Jo-Ann. The skeins were small, and the prices were a little too high for me. I would much rather visit my independent LYS and splurge on some beautiful yarn in that case.

I am totally confused by the Mambo yarn. What exact are you going to use it for? I saw the necklace pattern on the Lion website, but other than that, it seems to be a little pointless. Or maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough ;)

Either way, there doesn't seem to be enough yardage included in a skein to make much else.

Thanks to everyone who has put in an opinion - I finally saw these for the first time at a JoAnn's last weekend. And was...underwhelmed too. The extra soft wool blend felt really nice and had great colors, but I agree that the skeins were small. Otherwise, nothing seemed different or great in any way.

From reviews I've seen, a lot of people aren't interested in these yarns because they aren't fans of Martha Stewart. I'm pretty much Martha-neutral and I usually like Lion Brand's products. But given the number of different yarns that were introduced at once, I thought I'd like more than one of them.

As for the prices, while they weren't outrageous, I wouldn't exactly call them worth the money. There are a lot of other things I'd buy first, that's for sure.

I am totally confused by the Mambo yarn. What exact are you going to use it for? I saw the necklace pattern on the Lion website, but other than that, it seems to be a little pointless. Or maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this !!! This yarn mystifies me completely! I cannot see this yarn being on store shelves a year from now because of the extremely limited uses. Don't even like to look at it! :badidea

Here is a site that lists the 8 new Martha Stewart Crafts yarns. Click on each one individually and it will take you to the page that lists all of the colors:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/Newsletters/55600.html

Here's the Luxe Fur -- I think I would like this a lot for a hat and scarf combo -- but might be too heavy for us in Florida. Reminds me of a heavy chenille.

Here's the new Silky Twist : http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/silkytwist.html?service=801&letterId=55598 I'd love to feel this one!

The Jamie yarn appears to be just like the Jamie baby yarn they had before. I used it a few times but can't remember how it compared to others.

You can subscribe to their Newsletters and hear all about new yarns, patterns, etc. If you don't want to subscribe or just want to go back and see an older newsletter, try their Newsletter Archives: http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/newsletters.cgi

I haven't seen any of these new yarns in our stores yet. :( We seem to be last on the distribution chain down here in the Florida panhandle. But eventually we will get them too. I am having no shortage of yarn. In fact, I think I am going to have to do another self-imposed yarn boycott. It is piling up faster than I am crocheting it. So, I need to catch up! So hard though when they keep coming out with so many soft and colorful yarns!

• 3 weeks later...

I was also underwhelmed about the martha yarns. Some nice feeling yarn, pretty faux fur, but the prices were a long ways out of line in my thinking. Even with a 40 or 50% coupon it was still to much for what it there. And I'm not a martha fan, but it was just too $$

Archived