Is it good to be told that something looks

CLLinda

Storebought?

I wore my sweater to church yesterday. I had made it in an oatmeal color and it has medium length sleeves. Someone asked if I made it and I said yes. She then said it looks Storebought.

Is that a compliment? Or what? It took me quite a long time (maybe 10 months) to make it, not working on it for a while when I got frustrated. And then someone said it looks storebought. I just smiled and thanked her.

It is my first adult sweater and I love it. I just didn't know how to take the compliment? or what?

Have you had this happen?

:manyheart

I think it's a compliment, meaning it looks professionally done. Storebought sweaters have nice even stitches and seams that you can hardly see, evenly spaced buttonholes etc., so to me that's the kind of details she would have been noticing. Kind of like somebody saying "you could sell this" which somebody said to me, and I know they meant it positively.

• 2 months later...
Yes, I agree that it was most definitely a compliment. Magiccrochetfan is completely right that it means you got all the pesky little details perfect. Well done! Can we see a photo of the sweater? It sounds lovely.

agreed

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds complimentary to me! I think most people (mistakenly) assume handmade equals tacky and when they see a lovely garment like your sweater can think of no better compliment than to say it looks storebought. So yes, they are definitely complimenting you, Linda!

Archived