The general public

I crochet in public all the time, but I don't always carry a hook and yarn with me :think but maybe I should! I always take my current WIP along when I take dd to the park on the weekend or when we go to the beach. I always take a project with me to BBQs, family reunions, long drives but the bulk of my crocheting is done sitting down at night after dinner watching the tv or during Saturday morning cartoons. Like someone else said, I find that I eat less when I'm bored and crochet more.:yay

When I bring a project that I am working on with me to my son's karate class I was surprised as to how many of the people questioned me as to what I was making. Alot of them seem to be quite surprised. I've been bringing my projects with me for a while now and they all can't wait to see the final products. It does give you a good feeling.

I haven't run into it much - but then I don't usually take it with me. I normally have at least two (small) children in tow and it running and crocheting just don't mix well. :think I have started taking projects to the older kids' games when we're somewhere I can keep an eye on the younger ones while they play ...

Anyway, I've gotten looks, but only a couple times has anyone said anything. And then I say something like "yes, I'm crocheting a ________" (which takes care of the knitting/sewing/whatever issue w/out being rude).

People always seem surprised that I'm actually making something. I mean, they're like "What is it?" and it'll obviously be a hat or something and I just wonder to myself "Am I the only one who sees the shape of this thing or what?"

People always seem surprised that I'm actually making something. I mean, they're like "What is it?" and it'll obviously be a hat or something and I just wonder to myself "Am I the only one who sees the shape of this thing or what?"

I usually get asked the same question! I think people are just surprised that you can make so much more than an afghan!:hook

Myndie

I usually get asked the same question! I think people are just surprised that you can make so much more than an afghan!:hook

Myndie

It makes me wonder if they think you knit a flat expanse and then cut it up like fabric for sewing.

YIKES! I can't IMAGINE cutting my work! *faints*

I had a funny one of Friday. I had an eye check up and brought one of my projects with me. Got into a really nice conversation with the assistant, but the funny part was I'd managed to plan ahead and had brought a big hook project with me, so after I got the drops while waiting for them to dilate I sat in the waiting area with my big ol N hook and got a bunch done. The doctor thought it was a hoot. He said he usually doesn't get people doing that with drops in :hook

Ok, The family went to get hair cuts. Yes, we all go to the same place & have the same person cut our hair. (Our neighbor next door). I just went along, so I pulled out my crochet (I always keep cotton yarn & hook in my purse). One of the ladies that works there, plopped down in the chair next to me. Started telling me that she used to crochet (turns out with thread), asked me what I was making. She said she had forgotten how - she hadn't done it in a long time. Asked me if I thought Walmart would have a book & of course I told her yes. She wanted to talk more but had a customer come in. I am sure we will talk again.

I crocheted on the plane when I flew up north for a funeral this summer. One of the flight attendants kept coming up to me during the flight to see how my project was coming! I've been afraid to crochet in Dr's offices and such thinking it might not be appropriate, but since it appears as though many people do this, I'm going to start bringing my projects with me!

Archived