How to block a baby blanket?

rissaroo1234

Question

I've just finished making a baby blanket and I have no idea how to block it, or if i even should. Its made out of Lion Brand Homespun yarn and is basically a giant granny square. Which method should I use to block it? and if I could get directions on how to use said method that would be great too. thanks

4 answers to this question

Homespun doesn't need blocked in my opinion. Acrylic yarn doesn't stay blocked for long. It will revert back to it's original "position" unless it's killed. I've never killed homespun and don't think it would react to that well.

Probably the best thing to do would be to wash it with gentle detergent (dye free, fragrance free) and dry.

I have no experience with blocking, but I wanted to say congrats on your new piece. If you're interested, you should show it off in the show and tell section. Good luck with the blocking!

Most acrylic doesn't need blocking. If, after you gently wash and dry it, you think it needs blocking then you can block. Lay the piece out on a flat surface that you can pin to. I use a double bed. Stretch the piece into the shape you want it and pin to the bed or blocking board about every 2 inches and on all corners. Lay a damp towel over the whole piece and with your steam iron hold the iron just barely above the towel or gently iron on the damp towel. Don't let the iron sit on the towel as this will flatten your stitches. Leave the towel on the piece until it cools. Then remove the towel and let the piece dry thoroughly before removing the pins

Archived