crohook anyone?

Have you heard of this? Do you crohook?

I've been using crohooks for quite a while and really enjoy it. Just wondering if anyone else out there knows about it. It seems to be a "lost" technique in my neck of the woods (or desert).

Using the double ended crochet hooks, right? Here are some patterns using that technique: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/cro-hook_patterns.php

Some call it Crochenit.. I have been interested in learning it as it makes some really cool looking two color items. As I understand it, working back and forth fro color to color is much easier with this method. This and knitting are both on my "need to learn" list. :)

Yep, that's it. You aren't limited to just two colors either. You can get a real nice effect using multiple colors - or multiple shades of the same color. It's not hard to learn either. If you can do a single crochet and a chain, then you can learn the crohook.

I've made several blankets with this. There's a book called 101 Double-Ended Hook Stitches and I've been working my way through it. Patterns can be a bit difficult to find. Most of what I was finding before I bought this book was crochet on the double but it was meant for crocheting with two skeins of yarn instead of with a double-ended crochet hook.

I've made several blankets with this. There's a book called 101 Double-Ended Hook Stitches and I've been working my way through it. Patterns can be a bit difficult to find. Most of what I was finding before I bought this book was crochet on the double but it was meant for crocheting with two skeins of yarn instead of with a double-ended crochet hook.

Do you have pictures? I am very interested in seeing more of the final products from this method.

I've done a few crohook projects and have a number of different double-ended hooks and pattern books. I keep telling myself someday I'm going do to more crohook/crochenit projects.

Do you have pictures? I am very interested in seeing more of the final products from this method.

Unfortunately, none that I can share at the moment. I'm technologically challenged. :D I made two 12-inch squares for PiscesCrocheter when she was collecting them for her husband's comfortfghan and she has pictures of them on her thread about that comfortghan. They are grey and white. Because of the nature of crochetnit, they are reversable.

Because of the nature of crochetnit, they are reversable.

Not all of the stitches are "reversible". There are two basic stitches that my Mom and I use. One does make a two sided reversible pattern. The other is a flatter more solid stitch that shows the same on both sides. My Mom loves the reversible stitch and uses it all the time. Here is an example of that stitch. This is a baby blanket that she made and entered in the fair a couple years back. It is peach on one side and cream on the other. The picture is from the predominately peach side. Then another blanket that I did that is blue on one side and a blue/pink/purple variegated on the other side. Because the solid blue and the blue in the variegated are identical, it makes the whole blanket look variegated, but you can still tell which side is predominately solid blue.

post-52274-135897688727_thumb.jpg

post-52274-13589768873_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688731_thumb.jpg

Here are some examples of the flatter stitch. I like this one better because it really has no holes. The afghans are all done with a size N crohook. The dishrag (the square) was done with a size K crohook and cotton yarn.

There are some close ups so you can kind of see the stitches...

post-52274-135897688732_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688733_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688735_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688736_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688737_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688738_thumb.jpg

post-52274-13589768874_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688741_thumb.jpg

post-52274-135897688742_thumb.jpg

Using the basic reversible stitch, and a size H crohook, makes some good hotpads. The larger one is two squares crocheted together around the edges. This makes a good thick pad to set stuff on. The other two are identical, just from the two different sides so you can see the difference. I used two different variegated yarns.

post-52274-135897688744_thumb.jpg

Archived