My current work in progress: Sweater Embellishment

Katchkan

As a designer it's not ofter I get to share with all of you what I am up to. Believe me my hook is always at work, just can't share all the time. Which is something I do miss.

This project is a personal one for me so I can share for a change. I am embellishing a sweater with Irish Crochet. I am hitting the home stretch on it and could use some encouragement. I do hate sewing. All the motifs are crocheted and the edgings for the neckline and the cuffs.

I have already sewn the edgings on and have a good start on sewing on the motif. There are a total of 68 motifs, plus the edgings. So this has been a definite project. But this is the part that I hate the most. Sewing is definitely not crocheting and one I love the other I do because I have to.

Thought I would post a picture of the completed motifs. This is before I started sewing so I could use it as a guide for the general placement.

I am doing this in size 30 thread and I am very pleased with it as far as I have gotten.

So what do you think of my project.

post-709-135897687671_thumb.jpg

OMG, Kathy, that is gorgeous! Of course you do such beautiful work, but :eek! I just can't imagine doing anything in such detail! I love crocheting, but the sewing part, eh, not so much! :lol I can't wait to see you project when it's finished! :yay

That is absolutely gorgeous, such beautiful work! I agree, the sewing part can be tedious, but, you will soon have it finished and it will be well worth the effort. Great job Kathy!

That is just beautiful and awsome. You always amaze me with your designs. I do not envy you sewing, as I do not like to sew.

Thank you for showing the before, can't wait to see the after:hook

Thank you for the compliment. I will Hand wash it. I always hand wash all my sweaters anyway. So that's no biggie.

Kathy that is absolute ART! You are just amazing! Can I ask how you would wash that tho? Would you hand wash it?

Thanks everyone, it is a joy to be able to share what I am up to with everyone.

I made better progress today than I anticipated. It's going a lot smoother than I thought it would. Won't have much time to work on it tomorrow, But hoping to done early next week.

Wow! Kathy that is amazing. All those little pieces--yes I don't like sewing either! Just keep taking it a bit at a time, and almost before you know it, you'll be showing your FO to us! Can't wait to see it in all its glory :U

Kathy, I know this could be considered sacrilege by some, and I almost sort of feel that way myself (because I'm a sew-er,too), but what about using fabric glue to attach the pieces? Some of the newer fabric glues are very flexible, dry clear, and would be almost undetectable on the finished item.

The fiberista in me sort of cringes at the thought of glue instead of thread attaching those beautiful motifs, but the practical part of me says, "What a great idea!" :lol

I have used fabric glues in the past and for something that was going to be stationary and not leave my home I would consider it. But since I will be wearing this in public ( Like at Conference.) I would be so ashamed if one fell off there. So to avoid the risk of losing one or two, I will finish sewing them on. I am over a 1/3 of the way done and it is looking great. I can't wait to see it all done too. Didn't get mych chance to work on it today and tomorrow won't be much better. Weekends are like that. Early next week is my goal.

Kathy, I know this could be considered sacrilege by some, and I almost sort of feel that way myself (because I'm a sew-er,too), but what about using fabric glue to attach the pieces? Some of the newer fabric glues are very flexible, dry clear, and would be almost undetectable on the finished item.

The fiberista in me sort of cringes at the thought of glue instead of thread attaching those beautiful motifs, but the practical part of me says, "What a great idea!" :lol

Just a quick progress report. I should finish the sweater embellisment today. I have 20 more motifs to sew on. Out of 71 items to sew on that is good and only 2 of them are the more complicated ones. So hopefully if all goes well it will be done this evening. That's my goal anyways.

I did try it on yesterday for the 1st time with everything pinned on and I am very, very pleased with this.

Archived