Sign in to follow this  
AVB2011

Home-made yarn beads!

Hi again!

Ever look at a pattern and wish you could, but it needs beads and you're all out? I seem to never have a bead or a button when I need one. So I decided that I would make one myself. It is really easy. You just need a drinking straw, preferably unused, and thread of your color choice and a crochet hook. I used red size 10 thread and a size 7 (1.65 mm) hook.

Decide how long or short you want your bead to be, then with scissors, cut the 'bead' off the end of the straw. These can be as long or as short as you want.

Place the piece of straw over your hook. Yarn over and pull half way through the straw. Doing this counts as your beginning stitch. Yarn over and pull through the loop on the hook. *Insert hook through the center of the straw and yarn over again. pull through the straw. You will have two loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through both loops.** Repeat from the * to the ** until you have worked around the straw. There will be a ridge of single crochet along the straw. This can be worked into the center of the straw, or built off of. To join the end and the beginning, just use a slip stitch. Weave in ends. :) Enjoy!

Very creative! With my luck I would be out of beads and straws!:lol

Wow very resourceful, you have to be in this day & age

I'm having trouble envisioning this. How do you yarn over and pull the thread only half way through the straw? Is there a hole in the middle of your straw segment? :think

I'd love to see a picture too but I'm having trouble envisioning the technique also.:think

Great idea, that would make a neat matching button for a purse.

I've done sc over those little white plastic rings I use for stitch markers when I'm knitting, make a nice free button. I've also used a washer or a rubber hose gasket from DH's tool box... works in a pinch.

I too would really like to see a picture...or maybe a link to a tutorial with pictures? I might give it a whirl and see what I come up with.