My first thread doilies.

~threadbear~

After learning to crochet in June with the help of youtube, I bought a little thread doily book and decided to have a go.

Here's my three attempts, none are blocked as I haven't really got to grips with that properly yet, so this was straight off the hook.

:hook

I really enjoyed doing these alot.

post-52135-135897686108_thumb.jpg

post-52135-13589768611_thumb.jpg

post-52135-135897686112_thumb.jpg

very pretty! Be careful thread is addicting. I don't always block my doilies unless they are very bad usually a little tug and foldiing like a pie work for me and i have never starched or stiffened a doily. I like the fluidity of unstarched thread

Very nice :applause

For small doilies like these, you can block them by dampening them and pushing them into shape on a countertop. Bigger doilies don't need to be starched, but I prefer to block them; I've found the designs 'pop' better, and stay that way, if you wet block them by pinning them out, stretching them just a bit. They are still soft and drapey if you pick them up, but they lay out nice and flat.

Thank you all for the lovely replies, it's really encouraging. :yes Thanks as well for advice over blocking. It's so helpful to me as i'm pretty much clueless :think and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. :hook

Titus2woman, honestly thread is lovely to work with. I really enjoyed it alot, although you do need to practice a little to get the tension right after working with yarn.

I had no problems weaving the threads. I don't know if that's because I'm used to working with really fine metallics etc (I cross stitch) but it really was ok, not a problem.

Why not get a little thread to try and just dive right in, I bet you'll be glad you did! :yay

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived