Barbie Doll Clothing suggestions?

ladychris2010

I have a lot of crochet thread and a barbie doll to use for a model. I want to start crocheting clothes for it so that I can give them and the doll to my daughter when she's old enough to play with them. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to make?

I know there's the usual patterns but I do want some general suggestions

These are the links I have found and put on my blog Barbie Free Patterns. They are mixed in weights so you will have to go through them. I just added some thread ones recently.

If you are looking to buy there are tons of old Annie's Attic patterns available in resale markets that are almost all thread based, much to my dismay. The Crochet World Magazines also have lots of thread patterns if you know anyone who collects the old ones. Leisure arts also has a series of thread patterns for fashion dolls. Most of them are sold as fashion dolls to avoid the trade mark issue but they do fit.

Crochet Pattern Central, BarbieBasic, you can download her patterns with adobe, she uses # 10, ABC Central, she uses yarn. There are more, but I always start here. If you want to take the time, go into your search and you can findmore. Good Luck!

Thank you ladies for the pattern links. But really I was looking for suggestions on things to make to put on her. Types of tops, or dresses, shoes, things like that. Not necessarily patterns for these things. I will see about putting the links to good use too

When I make Barbie clothes, I always try to make things that are easy for little fingers to get off and on the doll. Usually simple dresses with two or three snaps in the back, or a simple top and pants with one snap each, are the easiest. Also, be careful of what patterns you use. Most of the older patterns that are mentioned are for the older style Barbie (who was bustier and with a smaller waist). Make sure you have a pattern that matches your specific doll. Newer patterns usually fit the new body shape well. Good luck! Making Barbie clothes is a lot of fun!

My experience is one piece dresses with short sleeves or spaghetti straps using velcro as the closure are easiest for beginner dressers to handle likewise you could make pants with velcro closures instead of buttons and snaps. If you are handy you can crochet around hair elastics for waistbands. Flowing full things are easier to put on than tighter

It depends on the interests of the child, too. I make dresses for one child that is home schooled so I have focused on historical and holiday costumes for the doll. Other girls like more modern fashions.

Archived