Chain Link MN 2011: Favorite Vendor Booths

Amy

Offinger did a fantastic job of securing vendors for the Knit and Crochet Show/Chain Link conference in Minneapolis. The show floor was an amazing riot of color, with yarn everywhere the eye could see!

Since Sock Summit (with its thousands of attendees thanks to the pull of knitter extraordinaire Stepanie Pearl-McPhee, the head organizer) was scheduled for this same week, some vendors went to the larger venue, so there weren't as many vendors as there otherwise would have been. But that didn't seem to help me keep from spending any less money!

Click here to see a complete list of vendors at the Minneapolis Chain Link.

While all the booths were wonderful in their own ways, there were several that I kept going back to over and over again, just to drool over their offerings.

One of these companies was Interlacements Yarns LLC. I bought a fabulous beaded scarf kit ($44.00) from them that uses their custom-dyed ribbon yarn called New York 200. It's a knitted pattern, but I'm going to figure out a way to make something similar with knooking. Here's a look at the kit:

IMG_0552.jpg

This vendor also has this wonderful rayon yarn called Rick Rack. If I hadn't already spent my budget allotment, I would have bought some of this.

Another great company was J Wray Co. Handpainted Yarns and Fibers. Special thanks to Janet and Leslie for offering us some special assistance when we ran into minor difficulties with the CGOA yarn winding booth. I bought a skein of 100% alpaca laceweight yarn (1100 yards for $25.00) in a gorgeous Moss Green color:

IMG_0553.jpg

The Yarn and Fiber Company, Jerry Catt, was another terrific booth. I had to walk right past their booth every time I went to the CGOA yarn winding booth. There were so many things I wanted to buy here, as the colorways were simply stunning. But I limited myself to two things:

The first was a skein of Ivy Brambles Romantica Merino Lace (superwash) in colorway Wild Blackberry ($29.95). This yarn is so soft and smooshy. A skein is 1000 yards, 4 oz. I'm not sure yet what this yarn will end up being:

IMG_0554.jpg

I also bought a skein of Ivy Brambles Pure Silk 20-2, 3.5 oz/100 grams, 1083 yds of 100% silk ($49.95). So shiny, so soft! This is also in colorway Wild Blackberry, but it's a softer, more muted color in the silk.

IMG_0560.JPG

This skein is going to be a shawl. I saw a gorgeous knitted, beaded shawl in the booth, but I'm trying to come up with a crochet version with a similar feel to it. Thanks to a Japanese stitch pattern I learned in Joan Davis's Crochet Camis that Fit class, I know how I'll make the main triangular part of the shawl. Now I just need to figure out a lace border for the edges. I will definitely be writing up a pattern for this one!

Just to pique your interest, here are some photos of the knitted shawl:

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

My absolute most favorite shop, though, was the Yarn Garage/Steven Be booth. But that is much yumminess that it will have to be its own thread! So be on the lookout later today. :hook

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

wowser wowser wowser!! I would be in soo big trouble at a convention like this! Though i am going to have to join the cgoa and maybe some day get to go! Is it always in MN?

This was the first time we've been in Minneapolis. We'll be in Greensboro, NC from September 21-25 this year.

In 2012, we'll return to Manchester, NH June 27 through July 1 and take a new visit to Reno, NV September 12-16.

Archived