??? about making squares for donating

Recently I have been thinking about making squares (granny and sample blocks) to have on hand to donate to charities and/or individuals who want to make a comfortghan. I have read through the Comfortghans thread here on Crochetville. But I would like to ask some questions that I did not see the answers to as well as ask for any hints and advice you can give me.

1. Are the most common sizes requested the 8 inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch squares?

2. Do you use all the same brand (such as Red Heart, Caron Simply Soft, etc.) to make a square? Or do you mix brands as long as the makeup of the yarn (acrylic, cotton) is the same as well as the texture/weight of the yarn is the same. In other words you would not mix a bulky yarn with a worsted weight or even a sports weight or baby yarn together.

3. Are there any colors asked for more than others? Or are there any color combinations requested more than others?

4. Do you keep a large supply of the various size squares on hand? Or do you just make up a few at a time?

Any help/thoughts you can give me would be helpful?

Thanks!!!!

I think what you are doing is a great idea. One, I've tried several times to accomplish but never did:lol I can give you my thoughts on your questions and I'm sure there are others that will give you much better answers.

1. Most common I've seen are 6", 8" & 12". I've only seen a request for 10", once or twice.

2. Most requesting want WW and not Caron Simply Soft because it is too soft and you can see the difference. I usually use Red Heart or Hobby Lobby myself unless someone is asking for something specific.

3. Blue is probably the color I seen asked for most, but the request come in all colors. Most color combo's I've seen are with white.

4. I wish I had a supply ready. That would be great.

Hope this helps you a little.

Recently I have been thinking about making squares (granny and sample blocks) to have on hand to donate to charities and/or individuals who want to make a comfortghan. I have read through the Comfortghans thread here on Crochetville. But I would like to ask some questions that I did not see the answers to as well as ask for any hints and advice you can give me.

1. Are the most common sizes requested the 8 inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch squares?

Sometimes you might see a request for 6 inch but it seems to me that the most requested size is 12 inch.

2. Do you use all the same brand (such as Red Heart, Caron Simply Soft, etc.) to make a square? Or do you mix brands as long as the makeup of the yarn (acrylic, cotton) is the same as well as the texture/weight of the yarn is the same. In other words you would not mix a bulky yarn with a worsted weight or even a sports weight or baby yarn together.

Whoever makes the request specifies what they want. It seems like most request RHSS probably because a lot of us have it on hand or easy access to it but some request cotton or Caron Simply Soft. Most do not want to mix RHSS with Caron Simply Soft because there is such a difference in the feel of it.

3. Are there any colors asked for more than others? Or are there any color combinations requested more than others?

The only color that I have noticed that is requested more than others is pink and or white----for breast cancer patients.

4. Do you keep a large supply of the various size squares on hand? Or do you just make up a few at a time?

Any help/thoughts you can give me would be helpful?

Thanks!!!!

Sometimes I make a few ahead but I rarely have what I need to fulfill a request because most want specific colors, possibly a specific pattern and when you factor in the type of yarn they want that's just not what I happened to make ahead. For me it was a matter of finding a go to pattern so if a specific one wasn't requested I could make it quickly. I am also sending out squares to everyone in the Friendship-ghan CAL so its not hard to find a home for most any square I make. There it seems like purple is a favorite color. After I got into making squares for Friendship-ghans I found I was able to whip out ones for Comfort-ghan requests as they are requested.

Hope this helps.

I made several at a time after checking out the list,and making notes, and such in the cal, I think 6, 8, and 12 are the most requested, as for colors, I usually, and this is bad of me, but when they say any color, they are most usually the ones I make first, lol as I can pick and chose and don't get too bored doing them! My least favorite to make is 12 inch, but Im getting better at them! I use almost exclusively RHSS, or ILTY, for durability and washability. Caron is lovely with it's sheen, and softness but unless specified, I don't use it for the cal. My best advice, work off the list, check um as you go, keep track of mailings, and receivings, and wala, you will be fine!

Thanks for all of the advice. I have been reading the requests for comfortghans and also for the friendship squares here in C'ville. I also read the request in "Crocheting for Charity" section here in C'ville about making granny squares to make blankets for veterans. Plus I have checked Bev's Country Cottage for any organizations requesting squares. Between all of those I think I will be busy for awhile. Currently I am working on chemo caps, potholders, and dishcloths. I thought I would add squares to my to-do list so I can switch off so I wouldn't get bored crocheting only one thing at time. All of these items are small items that I can work on when I am lying down. Which I am doing quite a bit currently as I am still recuperating from a double mastectomy done on June 9th. I have had a couple complications in the process of healing. Nothing serious. But I feel the need to lay down several times a day. Plus sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and crochet for a few minutes to get sleepy again. All of these projects are easy to do while lying down. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have been reading the requests for comfortghans and also for the friendship squares here in C'ville. I also read the request in "Crocheting for Charity" section here in C'ville about making granny squares to make blankets for veterans. Plus I have checked Bev's Country Cottage for any organizations requesting squares. Between all of those I think I will be busy for awhile. Currently I am working on chemo caps, potholders, and dishcloths. I thought I would add squares to my to-do list so I can switch off so I wouldn't get bored crocheting only one thing at time. All of these items are small items that I can work on when I am lying down. Which I am doing quite a bit currently as I am still recuperating from a double mastectomy done on June 9th. I have had a couple complications in the process of healing. Nothing serious. But I feel the need to lay down several times a day. Plus sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and crochet for a few minutes to get sleepy again. All of these projects are easy to do while lying down. Thanks again for everyone's help.

My goodness Kathy -- here you are still recuperating from major surgery yourself and all you are thinking of is what more you can do for others! You are an amazing woman and I want to send you a huge cheer for that!:cheer Are you doing okay with your recuperation? I know you said you have had some complications. Is there anything I can do for you? How about us sending YOU some squares for a friendship/comfortghan? Do you have preferences? I am not sure where people put their wish lists I sometimes

read about. Do you have one? I would love to do something for you! Sometimes it is the one doing for everyone else that really needs a little something herself! :)

I have only made 12 inch squares myself for sending to people here on CV, but have been trying to find time to work in some other things as well. I have a few charity items made. Then, I got a slew of family requests that I need to work through first. But I will get back to my charity projects too. My goal is to have enough things to make a significant donation by Christmas. I am going to send mainly to Soldier's Angels which I recently signed up to work with. So many in need! I feel bad that I signed up and then got behind here and have not sent anything, but I WILL! I am sure they will need things just as much a month or two from now. :)

Speaking from my own experience, it is very healing to make crocheted/sewn items for others while recovering from medical "events." I've had two major surgeries in the past three years. After the first one, I got back to quilting as soon as I possibly could. After the second, I had been able to return to crochet, and I was crocheting chemo hats in the hospital. You can think about the good feelings you're helping to share, *and* it helps take your mind off of your own pain for a while, looking at the nice colors and feeling the yarn.

Under these circumstances, it's very worthwhile to make the hats from the best yarn you can afford to give away: you're helping yourself as much as the other person.

DCM

My chemo hats I am making I use Caron Simply Soft for them. Joann.com has it on sale on occasion. I don't remember the exact sale price but even with paying my states (TN 9.25%) sales tax and getting free shipping I was saving about 25 cents per skein than what I would have paid at my local WalMart. This WalMart is not one of the SuperCenter ones. It has a fantastic craft/fabric/yarn section. But it is about a 15 minute drive from the house and I figured what we would spend on gas and time would eat up the 25 cents. So I did better ordering it online. I was making hats and scarves for my church's clothes closet. When our church received a donation of yarn I was given the yarn. There was some Caron Simply Soft in that donation and I made some hats with it. When my scalp began hurting before losing my hair to chemo I grabbed one of those hats to wear. It felt really good. It was soft and lightweight. Plus seems to wear very well.

Archived