washable wool

bijou22

Welcome to Crochetville! If it is pure wool, it should felt. 100% wool always felts (weather you want it or not) when exposed to heat. My mom once washed a skirt of mine that was pure wool in hot water and it shrank so much that I had to give it away to a child in church. That was my first lesson in felting.

I think that it will not felt. Washable wool has been treated so it will not shrink up. If you look at directions for felting wool yarn, it will usually include a caution to make sure you re not trying to felt washable yarn as it will not felt. If you work really hard, you may be able to get a little felting appearance, but normally the yarn will not felt. Felting is more of taking yarn fibers and making them blend together so that you cannot really see the individual fibers anymore -- making it look more like felt than crocheted or knitted yarn. If you bought wool cloth, that is sort of already done. It is different from yarn. What is your goal? Did you just want to shrink it up or did you want to make it softer?

If washable wool has been treated not to shrink, then your shirt will not felt. As I said before, my skirt was 100% wool (and it had no washable labels) my mom dropped into the wash and it shrank to a child's size, with no felting intended.

thanks for the welcome!! a little off the crochet subject, but the weather in oklahoma is scaring me. ur grass may felt.

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!:lol: That really cracked me up! We have had some good lines about how hot it is here in Florida too but that is an original! I will have to find someone here that knits or crochets and try that out on them. Thanks for the laugh.

Howdy!

Well, if it says "washable" it should be washable without felting. I would probably wash it in cool water on a gentle cycle and hang to dry.

If you *want* to felt it, you can try. Hot water, lots of agitation, lots of soap and throw it into the dryer on high heat. If that doesn't get you some results, of some sort, you won't see any results no matter what you do.

Good luck with it, whatever your intentions!

Archived