Freeform Irish Crochet lace progression

FireSpirit

I began this project last winter. The effort it requires still astounds me, and I am not sure I will ever utilize all the motifs I have completed. I thought others might enjoy the photos I have been taking along the way.

Some I used larger sized yarn for filler, and others I used several strands of 10. I cannot imagine doing this with small thread, but I do admit that after awhile the 10 thread and the no. 7 hook began to feel large and cumbersome. Is that when you know you are ready to try moving to smaller stuff? I'm not sure I can get it any closer to my eyes without it hitting my nose. :D

I'm also not sure if you would call it free form or irish crochet lace. I just did a HUGE amount of reading and plunged into it. When I began to feel lost I decided to ring what I had so far with bruges lace, much like Teresa did in

I watched

at least a Gozillian times too, by Ira Rott. I know I will never have her expertise, and I have no plans to make this an article of clothing. I'll be happy if it lies flat and doesn't spring off the table by its own volition. :P

Plans are to continue with another round of motifs, then another round of Bruges. and on and on until my fingers fall off, I guess. OH, the one huge flower I don't plan to include, but thought you might like it. :D Some may not like the pearls, but I had a few from one of my great grands sweet little 'Sunday' gloves and have been waiting for a special place to put them.

Here goes...

post-26080-135897682163_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682168_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682176_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682182_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682185_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682188_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682191_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682197_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682202_thumb.jpg

post-26080-135897682206_thumb.jpg

OH MY!! These are absolutely gorgeous!! Are you putting them all together for a bedspread or other item??? You sure have more patience than I do...and everyone keeps telling me I have a lot of it for the work I do!

• 2 weeks later...

FireSprit, I’m terribly afraid I have been bitten by this bug called Irish Crochet. The latest issue of Interweave Crochet contained several articles on the art, and it is an art. At the same time I received an email from a friend I met on this site who lives in Russia with a link to her friend’s site and it is amazing. This is certainly not the work we have been seeing here in the US on any kind of regular basis. I have done very little thread work because my eyes are 61 years old and my nose too long to bring the work close enough for the eyes to focus. I bought myself one of those magnifying headsets but there is a problem, at least for me, as you mentioned the focusing on thread work is a necessity and my eyes want me to bring objects closer. The headset rather insists one must hold it away from the wearer and it drives me nuts. I’m still at the reading/studying stage and in fact searching for tutorials got me to this thread. Having spent more than a few hours looking at examples of Irish Crochet I think you have done quite well. Now I’m off to the links you posted. Hang in there.

• 5 weeks later...

Just Beautiful work. Irish Crochet has to be one of the lovliest of the lacy decorative designs. I learned to do it when younger, but the designs were attached to silk to make purses and other fancy clothing items. I found the hardest parts were not the motifs but the filler lines and those pesky tails that had to be hid...

• 4 months later...

Archived