About stitch markers

acraftylady

Question

Well I lost my case with my accessories and I had 3 packs of the boye stitch markers that snap close in there and got them about 6yrs ago, think my case fell out of the van and I didn't notice. So went to replace the stitch markers today and the ones boye makes now are very inferior. Thin rubbery plastic that I can't keep closed and the ones I bought when I started are much solid sturdy plastic they would stay snapped shut. I looked arond and don't see anything comparible that snaps close.

I got the idea of 1/2 inch metal loose leaf rings, do you think that is a good substitute? Found a great deal on 100 of them with shipping. I use them when I make a large afghan to mark spots along the way when I am starting, especially when doing ripples so it's not like they will be in the project the whole time weighting it down just the first row then taken out and then the next row for maybe about 4 rows then after that I only use one to secure my stitch for when I put the project away or to mark the top of the ch3 when I come around. If anyone knows anything in sturdy plastic like this that would be good too but they have to be 1/2 inch. Mary

post-7272-13589768172_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

I have thought of those, I have a few but never used them for that purpose; but I think they'd be heavy, and I'd worry that the 'teeth' would snag.

I use bobby pins, you can get a card with a zillion of them (well, lots) for about $1. They don't fall out, and even though they are long they are easy to flip out of the way. I've even used them for doily work. I kept losing the purchased stitch markers.

Sorry you lost your accessories case, gosh I have so much handy stuff in mine I'd be upset!!

Well I like a ring that closes for my purposes and 1/2 inch ones I am thinking won't be that heavy. I couldn't find any plastic rings like the binder leaf rings that snap close or I would go that way. Still googling to see if I can find something plastic and if not think I will just order the 100 as it' a great deal. Mary

I use saftey pins. I can get multiple sizes, they close, and I don't have trouble with them catching. I tried different kinds of stitch markers when I first started and settled on the pins. They were easy to replace and much cheaper.

I use saftey pins. I can get multiple sizes, they close, and I don't have trouble with them catching. I tried different kinds of stitch markers when I first started and settled on the pins. They were easy to replace and much cheaper.

Same here. I love using safety pins. I have those cheap boye plastic ones but once I started using safety pins they are just a toy for my son now.

Please don't laugh at me, but I have kind of a phobia of looseleaf rings---I must have got my finger caught in one as a kid or something. Silly I know but there it is:blush So I personally wouldn't use the metal rings. More rationally :lol i would worry that the yarn could get caught in the locking part when it snaps shut.

I have Clover locking stitch markers like this http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/3109/_/Jumbo_Locking_Stitch_Ring_Markers

Mine are not the jumbo size. have had them for several years and haven't broken one yet. (Knitpicks makes ones the same shape, and they can break after a few uses)

You may like something like this:

http://www.binding101.com/plastic-binding-rings.html

I came across those, $9 is too high for shipping and if your order is under $30 there is a $10 processing fee so would cost mne $19 plus the $10 for the pack of rings, that is ridicilous.

Susan Bates has these but they don't look as sturdy as the clover ones to me, looks like the same flimsy rubber boye is using now. I think I am going to get a pack of the metal rings at Walmart tomorrow and try the small ones in there and see how I like them and if I don't then I will order teh clover ones, can get 60 of the clover ones for $6.99 so a lot cheaper than the metal rings. Mary

I love the Clover ones as well. I have also used earrings. If I lose a pierced hook style earring I save the other one to use as a stitch marker. Some are too heavy but I have some really lightweight ones and they work perfectly!

Archived