Substitution for Vanna's Choice Yarn

ManfaMae

Hi everyone! I was thinking about starting the Lion Brand "Circle Vest" (Pattern #90556AD). It calls for Vanna's Choice Yarn which I know is worsted weight acrylic, but would RHSS be a good substitution for it? I haven't worked with VC yarn before and wasn't sure about the softness, draping, etc. I have a ton of RHSS in my stash and would like to use that up before going out and buying more yarn...

All the Vanna's Choice I've worked with has been on the thick side, so choose your fattest Red Heart Super Saver, and the pattern should come out the same. Actually, any worsted weight ought to be fine, but I just wouldn't use a light worsted weight like Caron Simply Soft because it would definitely come out smaller.

You could use RHSS instead, but Vanna's yarn is far softer.

I have to agree mostly here. SOME RHSS is in what I call the "soft" category, but much of it is not. I avoid using it whenever I can...:think says she who is currently using 3/4 rhss on an afghan:crocheting ..but not enjoying it!

I have to agree mostly here. SOME RHSS is in what I call the "soft" category, but much of it is not. I avoid using it whenever I can...:think says she who is currently using 3/4 rhss on an afghan:crocheting ..but not enjoying it!

I use it for some of my toys and when I don't have certain colors, but I try to avoid it when texture is important. I don't find it as soft.

I Love This Yarn, from Hobby lobby is a good substitute. I use red heart ss all the time, and just run it through a short rinse cycle with fabric softner, and it softens up very nicely. I tumble dry for 10 minutes with a dryer sheet after.

I moved to Caron's One Pound for most of my projects. I find it softer and when I can get it on sale it is a good deal compared with RH. I like the feel of Vanna's, but the skeins are small and not inexpensive even for the smaller items I make.

vanna's yarn has a different sheen too than red's passes more for combo wool look in my opinion..it is softer indeed, I too love that loops and threads brand at Mikes and the new colors they keep coming out with are fantastic, especially some of the ombres, but usually same price on sale as when the vanna is marked down/they are now making big skeins of Loop's in common colors, I am thinking this Michaels brand is simular to HL ILTY ??to be truthful I have never used hobby lobby yarn as we have no stores here for me to feely mealy the yarn...I would love to try it sometime though as I hear so much about it

You could use Impeccables loops and threads form Michaels.

I like this yarn also. It's nice and soft and it's a pretty big skein.

:manyheart

Archived