What's on your needles right now?

CLLinda

Update on the needle-less cabling:

I think, because I knit combined, that something funky happens when I try to make a left-twist cable, with the yarn held in front. It kept messing up. Even though I ripped back twice and scrupulously followed the directions, it was not producing a left-twist cable. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to correct this approach for my way of knitting, but I got so frustrated with the needless mistakes that I've given up--temporarily--and gone back to my dpn to cable. I love how this blanket is turning out and didn't want to get all frustrated with it.

I'm definitely going to go back and make some squares and figure out how to make this technique work for me. I can cable pretty quickly now with the dpn, but it sure would be nice to have one less thing to lose down the seat cushions.

Patty

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update on the needle-less cabling:

I think, because I knit combined, that something funky happens when I try to make a left-twist cable, with the yarn held in front. It kept messing up. Even though I ripped back twice and scrupulously followed the directions, it was not producing a left-twist cable. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to correct this approach for my way of knitting, but I got so frustrated with the needless mistakes that I've given up--temporarily--and gone back to my dpn to cable. I love how this blanket is turning out and didn't want to get all frustrated with it.

I'm definitely going to go back and make some squares and figure out how to make this technique work for me. I can cable pretty quickly now with the dpn, but it sure would be nice to have one less thing to lose down the seat cushions.

Patty

I knit combo, too, but didn't have trouble. Are you working off purl stitches which have the leading edge on the back of the needle? You don't usually cable purls so I'm kind of baffled why it could be a problem. Wait, you're not working in the round, are you? That's why your leading edge is in back. — Got it. My cabling with no needle was socks and in the round.

I first thought maybe Grumperina might have the answer since she usually knits combo but her pictures for cabling w/o a cable needle have the leading edge to the front so that's no help.

Sorry.

Have you ever learned Continental? I can do either but if I really need that leading edge on the front I'll switch from Combo to Continental.

I knit combo, too, but didn't have trouble. Are you working off purl stitches which have the leading edge on the back of the needle? You don't usually cable purls so I'm kind of baffled why it could be a problem. Wait, you're not working in the round, are you? That's why your leading edge is in back. — Got it. My cabling with no needle was socks and in the round.

I first thought maybe Grumperina might have the answer since she usually knits combo but her pictures for cabling w/o a cable needle have the leading edge to the front so that's no help.

Sorry.

Have you ever learned Continental? I can do either but if I really need that leading edge on the front I'll switch from Combo to Continental.

I do knit continental combined; that's how my mom taught me (she was born in Poland). I taught myself to knit American style continental because I was confusing myself translating stitches from American patterns into Pattyspeak. I am incapable of throwing, however. :think

No, I'm not knitting in the round, so that is not the reason the left twist is not working, and I'm not cabling purls but knit stitches. But I have twice done the 8-row pattern repeat twice (so 16 rows), and that left twist consistently was not working out right. (No problems with the right twist cables.) I had all of Grumperina's photos right there in front of me, so I was tracking her method exactly, step by step. I'm not sure what my mistake is, but I'll figure it out another time. This is too big a blanket to have to either frog back to or try to correct (I did do that once, and you can see where that cable is not as nice and tight as the other, so if I'm going to make a mistake, I feel I have to rip the entire thing back to keep my tension even).

I'm not worried about it. I can easily hold the dpn in my hand while knitting the pattern, so it's not that I'm dropping it and wasting time. I don't find holding that second needle in my right hand difficult or clumsy at all, so I'll stick with the cable needle for now.

Love this blanket pattern, though. It's going to make a great boy's blanket for Project Linus.

I'em just learning how to knit and am working on a scarf. Have to admit that keeping track of the rows and the differernt combo of stitches can be daunting at times. Hate to admit how many times, I've had to frog due to missing a stitch.With crochet that was never a problem,but I am preserving

I do knit continental combined; that's how my mom taught me (she was born in Poland). I taught myself to knit American style continental because I was confusing myself translating stitches from American patterns into Pattyspeak. I am incapable of throwing, however. :think

No, I'm not knitting in the round, so that is not the reason the left twist is not working, and I'm not cabling purls but knit stitches. But I have twice done the 8-row pattern repeat twice (so 16 rows), and that left twist consistently was not working out right. (No problems with the right twist cables.) I had all of Grumperina's photos right there in front of me, so I was tracking her method exactly, step by step. I'm not sure what my mistake is, but I'll figure it out another time. This is too big a blanket to have to either frog back to or try to correct (I did do that once, and you can see where that cable is not as nice and tight as the other, so if I'm going to make a mistake, I feel I have to rip the entire thing back to keep my tension even).

I'm not worried about it. I can easily hold the dpn in my hand while knitting the pattern, so it's not that I'm dropping it and wasting time. I don't find holding that second needle in my right hand difficult or clumsy at all, so I'll stick with the cable needle for now.

Love this blanket pattern, though. It's going to make a great boy's blanket for Project Linus.

I'm sorry it didn't work right for you. I can't remember which now but one of the leans/crossovers I had to think about a bit more to get right and it could have been the left. But if you're happy with your knitting and progress, I am too! :D

I'em just learning how to knit and am working on a scarf. Have to admit that keeping track of the rows and the differernt combo of stitches can be daunting at times. Hate to admit how many times, I've had to frog due to missing a stitch.With crochet that was never a problem,but I am preserving
Hmmmm... I've certainly had to frog crochet due to a missed stitch. In knitting you can sometimes drop the line of stitches back to pick up a missed one if it's not too far back or you can even drop back a section and reknit just that section smack in the middle of the other knitting. To me, a crochet mistake can be harder to recover from than a knitting one but that varies.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally finished my 1st knitted baby ghan. It was a basketweave stitch. However, I gave it away as a lapghan before I had a chance to take pictures of it! ...It's going to a nice lady who is in her 90's and recently broke her hip and is in rehab. I don't know her. It's a lady through where my mom works. Anyway, I thought a this light lapghan might somehow let her know that people she doesn't know are wishing her well.

Now I'm working an organic cotton spa set. They are for my niece who is getting married in December. Her surprise bridal shower is coming up next month, though. I hope I can finish at least one set for her.

I have received a great pattern for 18" doll clothes so right now i have the first attempt at a dress on my needles. I followed the stitch count to get the size right but since i am not fond of garter stitch i am playing around with different stitches for the skirt. So far so good. I hope to finish it tonight and post pictures in show and tell tomorrow.

I have received a great pattern for 18" doll clothes so right now i have the first attempt at a dress on my needles. I followed the stitch count to get the size right but since i am not fond of garter stitch i am playing around with different stitches for the skirt. So far so good. I hope to finish it tonight and post pictures in show and tell tomorrow.

Oh wow! That sounds fun. Can't wait to see! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Newbie Knitter here. I bought a Learn-How-To-Knit kit a few years ago but it was pretty tough. I gave it another try last year and nearly finished the scarf from the kit (yup, still on the needles!). Well, I found a nifty pattern for Star Trek potholders that I just HAD to try. So, I'm doing it! It is double knit and it is taking me forever. It is so hard to keep track. I am promising myself right now that I WILL finish it!

Cindy,

you can do, it just takes practice. I am working on my first knit baby blanket. It's called sweet pea, looks like a basic feather and fan pattern (ripple) I have finished with the knit part, but it was a little small so I am adding some rows of single crochet around the border.

Valerie--Ooo! I can't wait to knit my first baby blanket! I've got several sweet patterns that I have been holding on to in hopes that one day I would finally learn to knit. I'm still a little skeerd by the idea though. There is so much I don't know!

Cindy,

the majority of my knitting in the last 5 years has been dishcloths, and the occasional scarf or hat. a blanket is very new to me, but was surprisingly not as bad as I had built up in my mind it would be. Part of what has helped me is the knitting group I joined around Halloween last year. Lots of great advice and encouragement there, also watching how to videos on you tube. by far the best is just by stitching, with every dishcloth, hat, scarf, or blanket, while I still make lots of mistakes, I am getting better at it. so keep it up.:cheer

I have finished the body section of my sweater, including a 4 inch 2 by 2 ribbing around the bottom. Now I'm just waiting for my Paradise Fibers order to come that has the needles I need to do the sleeves.

:manyheart

Justs finished a lacy baktus with a single skein of Auracania Pomaire Multy in orange that I had. The color has been discontinued, so no getting more unless I search, so I've been looking for something small to make with it. I had to redo the entire decrease section because my tension was so much looser. This may actually be easier to crochet with than knit. But it's cute, a fun pattern, totally mindless knitting.

I finally finished the drop stitch scarf that I have been working on for months. I stopped at 4 1/2 feet, because I was so tired of the pattern. I planned to donate it anyhow, so it will work well for a child.

I started this scarf as a shawl but I'm not sure if I will continue with it. Those huge needles are really hard for me to work with for any length of time.

Waaaaaaah!!! :cry

I left the knitting on the couch and the baby came up and pulled the needles out and unraveled some of the work. I was 10 rows in! I have NO IDEA how to fix it! How do you FROG knitting????? I know how to fix a dropped loop but not dropped row! :scared Panic panic panic!

I am working on a granny square baby blanket. So, quick and easy to make. Sometimes I like to take a break from the difficult projects and do something simple. This keeps me from getting frustrated. After this one I will be ready for a new more challenging project. :think

Cindy, if it's a pattern, is there a particular row you can rip back to and put the project back on the needles? I just did the baktus, and when I ripped back, I went to the k2tog row because it's so easy to see and then started re-knitting. Sometimes the stitches go back on the needle backwards, but I just pay attention when I'm knitting that row, and it gets all straightened out.

I have a cowl on the needles! This is actually only my second knitting project (I learnt to crochet first). The first was also a cowl but I was giving me fits...I now think because I was using wooden needles on it. That ones pretty chunky and I will def go back to it after I get different needles. The new one is all knit stitch so it's ingraining that one into my brain! I'm Loving it so far!

Archived