What's on your needles right now?

CLLinda

I have sworn off metal needles! I got so frustrated dropping my needle and watching it come out of every single stitch! I think that was the main reason it was so hard for me to learn. I still have my metal needles but I have been slowly growing a collection of wooden. Mostly circulars.

yes, I have been getting a few here and there as well, I realize now that what I should have done was get one of the interchangeable set from the beginning. the one I was looking at is around $85.00. More than I wanted to spend at one time, but in the long run I will probably spend more buy one set here and there. I love my knit picks harmony needles! still have the metal ones as well but I considered eventually listing them on ebay, as soon as I have all the sizes I need in wood.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have sworn off metal needles! I got so frustrated dropping my needle and watching it come out of every single stitch! I think that was the main reason it was so hard for me to learn. I still have my metal needles but I have been slowly growing a collection of wooden. Mostly circulars.

I really like my metals for some things, though. I'm still using buying them for my socks even if they can slide out sometimes. I like KnitPicks Harmony needles but the wood can snap for socks, which is my current "thing".

Here is where I am on my current pair. This is the first sock. Here's the Rav page for them, made public.

post-11235-135897751763_thumb.jpg

Finished a hat. Giving myself a break from hats now. Maybe back to my sweater. I'm on the bottom now, and it's just knitting a row, purling a row. Very boring.

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back working on my sweater. Gave it a break for a while. But I want to get it finished for the county fair.

When is your fair, Linda?

It's in August. So I have a while for working on all the projects that I plan on entering.

Today I started a black and red scarf for my daughter. It's on size 15 needles and every other row you switch colors. I really think she will like it.

I still have two afghans that I started months ago on the needles. Both of them have a mistake in the row I am on and I'm stuck. <sniffle-sniffle>

This happens to us all. Is there someone around who can help you fix the mistakes?

Also, there are videos on youtube and other places on how to fix mistakes. Maybe that will help.

Worked a little on my sweater this weekend. But it's just so boring. It's in Stockinget stitch for the bottom and it's just back and forth. I will get it finished for the fair, but it will take a while.

• 2 weeks later...
This happens to us all. Is there someone around who can help you fix the mistakes?

Also, there are videos on youtube and other places on how to fix mistakes. Maybe that will help.

Ooops! I missed this post! I'm sorry, CLLinda! :blush

I let my LYS gal fix one of the afghans. She said it was an easy fix. But she knits different than I do, and when I got the project home and looked at it, something still doesn't seem right.

The OTHER afghan, however, I was able to fix yesterday. It had a dropped stitch. I have become better familiar with knitting, so when I took this project out yesterday I was happy to see that I could fix it myself. [The pattern is called "Basket Weave Blanket" from Leisure Arts - Our Best Knit Baby Afghans.]

So, I've been working on that one, while praying about my sister's surgery today.

I've only made cables once, on a Warm Up America square, so I decided that now that school is out, I'm going to have to my own self-imposed cable class. I just started Little Boy Blue baby blanket from Caron's website, with two Caron One Pounds in aqua that I had in my stash. I've only completed one of the 8-row pattern repeats, so I don't know if I made any mistakes yet, and I may be the world's slowest cabler, but I think, so far, so good.

I have so many wip's I am ashamed lol. I have a round ripple afghan I have been working on for months, a knitted star and moon baby blanket that is half done, a small purse out of super pretty yarn that I can't seem to finish, and tons of baby items. I have been bouncing around from project to project.

I've only made cables once, on a Warm Up America square, so I decided that now that school is out, I'm going to have to my own self-imposed cable class. I just started Little Boy Blue baby blanket from Caron's website, with two Caron One Pounds in aqua that I had in my stash. I've only completed one of the 8-row pattern repeats, so I don't know if I made any mistakes yet, and I may be the world's slowest cabler, but I think, so far, so good.

That is a nice blanket. I learned to do cables from the "Learn to Knit" afghan book. (afghan is still unfinished, actually, but I have about 45 squares made.

I started this scarf a few weeks ago. its about 3 feet long at the moment. Very very easy pattern. but kind of boring after a while.

and I may be the world's slowest cabler, but I think, so far, so good.
Have you ever tried cabling without a cabling needle? It's not too hard to learn and it's much faster since you're not having to juggle the cable needle as well as your working needles.

I am cabling without a cable needle. I usually use either a crochet hook, or in this case, a DPN. If there's another way to cable, let me know. I'm always interested in learning a new technique.

I'm probably not as slow as I think I am, but I am knitting this slower than I crochet because of my fear of dropping the cable stitches. I knit continental combined, so I'm pretty fast compared to my friend who knits English/American style. Her way seems so excruciatingly slow and complicated to me.

Patty

I am cabling without a cable needle. I usually use either a crochet hook, or in this case, a DPN. If there's another way to cable, let me know. I'm always interested in learning a new technique.

Yes, there are ways, several of them. I'm linking you to a google search for cabling without a needle videos. There are a bunch of methods people use and one of them may suit you better than another. It sure makes cabling easier and tons faster to not have to juggle an extra tool. Good luck!

Even before I saw your message, I went online last night and checked out Grumperina's photo essay and the knittinghelp video on cabling without a needle. So I tried it last night. Right now, it's no faster for me, because I'm so worried about dropping the stitches during the pinch, but it may eventually get faster. So thanks for the tip, HomekeepingGran--I learned something new, and I always enjoy that!

patty

Even before I saw your message, I went online last night and checked out Grumperina's photo essay and the knittinghelp video on cabling without a needle. So I tried it last night. Right now, it's no faster for me, because I'm so worried about dropping the stitches during the pinch, but it may eventually get faster. So thanks for the tip, HomekeepingGran--I learned something new, and I always enjoy that!

patty

That's why I didn't try it. But it's an individual thing on what needle to use or not use when making cables.

I'm making a hat right now — of sock yarn, LOL. (After all these socks, I'm still using sock yarn.) I had bought self-striping Patons Kroy and got fairly well along on a pair of socks with it, but the more I looked at them the more I knew I would never wear them, so they were frogged and the yarn is morphing into a Sockhead Hat. I'm still not sure I'll like it real well but the stripes are a greyed blue and and a brown, mainly, and I have a navy trench coat and a brown jacket for winter. Whether I love the hat or not it should go with both coats. And there's always charity, if I don't like it, since it's super-wash.

Archived