What's on your needles right now?

CLLinda

I'm making a little purple baby sweater. I hope it turns out good.

What are you making?

:manyheart

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A scarf, that is taking me forever, and I have no idea why....hmmm could be because I pick up other things to work on..lol!

Could be! I also think knitting takes longer than crochet. But crochet uses more yarn. :think Kind of a little strange to think about.:think

Linda it is funny how crochet takes more yarn yet takes less time, things that make you go hmmmmm, but I like knitting. I am new to it and it relaxes me, so does crochet but it is a different mind set I think. I will keep plugging away!

The Aqua Waves shawl by KnitMonster. I'm making it in some of the old Cotton Ease in blue that I've had for years. I usually knit continental and combined, but I taught myself two years ago to knit English style (but still continental). It is so obvious in this shawl how poorly I knit this way--every purl row is 'rowing out' and wider than my knit row. I'm just gonna say these are waves accentuating the theme. :P Next time, I'm knitting the body of the shawl my way, but the lace edge the other way, so my rows are nice and even. But I am loving it, and it's soft and the color is gorgeous. I'm literally almost halfway through, and tonight will finish the midsection and start on the decrease side.

Patty

Finished the baby sweater and now working on a hat made with big needles and thick yarn. It's a really easy hat and very fun to see the varigated yarn work up in splashes of color. :manyheart

Foliage Hat (a class), diagonal pattern hat (a class), Moebius scarf (a class)--all classes by Karen Frisa.

In progress in crochet: swatches of Tunisian crochet for a demo/class (?) I'll be giving on the 14th of this month to a community service group (quite small; maybe 6 others at most) who'd like to know how to use some flat cotton--yarn?--we were donated. I'm recommending double-stranding it and working in Tunisian; I have a long sample, about 24", that I tested several stitches on to show them why we'll concentrate on tss and tks only.

Also a crocheted baby blanket for same church group and a basket for next-door baby--if I don't get it done soon, she'll be too old to play with it (born Feb 2011). :blush

Need to finish one of the knit hats b/c it's on borrowed needles....

DCM

I have my first baby sweater on the needles! Its a Bernat pattern, worked from sleeve to sleeve. I think I need more yarn; I used some for a crocheted hat and booties, so.....there's another proof of how much more crochet uses! But, the baby is due in September, and I'm about 1/3 of the way done, so mom has the hat and booties, and sweater for later, heh.

The only way to *prove* crochet uses more than knitting (and I've seen more than one analytical crocheter raise this point) is to crochet an item--even a square--of a given size and knit a duplicate item of the same size.

Unravel them and MEASURE THE YARN. Then we'll have a result we can discuss.

But I came to this thread b/c I forgot the most irritating, frustrating, annoying project I'm working on right now (gee, wonder why...)--socks. Everyone waxes eloquent about knitting socks. I signed up for a Beginning Socks class. There are six of us in the class (max. enrollment for this shop). Three of us are new to knitting; two of us have never knit socks before.

Casting on took most of the class time allotted to it for me. I still haven't gotten any rows done (panic starting to set in), and the second class meeting is this coming Wednesday. Size #2 needles, sock weight yarn. I started on circs but the yarn has long gray stretches and the circs are silver-colored, and in the pathetic lighting (!) of the store's classroom (what were they thinking?!) it was truly impossible, even with good close-up eyesight, to see what the he** I was doing. So I cut the gray part off of the beginning of the yarn and cast on (third time...) with the coral colored part. But by the time I had the stitches cast on and had decided to move them over to DPNs, it was time to pack up and leave.

I'm truly annoyed with this shop (not the LYS I've mentioned here previously; this is one I had hopes of) with regard to this class.

1) I was told, back in mid-July, that the Beginning Socks class would be from 6:00 to 8:00 on Wednesdays--no. It's from 6:30 to 8:00, not nearly long enough to do diddly for beginners and socks.

2) I was told the class fee would be $35. I thought this was a good price for a beginning class so that they would get us interested and then hit us for more advanced classes. But, when I arrived Wednesday night, they asked for a check in the amount of $45.

3) I got irritated, and vocally so. I said, "Almost nothing I've been told about this class is correct. The class time has changed. The class fee has changed. On Monday, the woman working at the shop with whom I spoke couldn't tell me which needles to bring, so I have them all. I brought sock-weight yarn; I hope *that's* OK. So, tell me: are we still meeting on the 3rd, 10th, and 24th?" I had taken notes in July, so I KNOW what they told me then--it's in my handwriting, on their class schedule. :angry

yeah. no wonder I forgot about the socks earlier today. Maybe now that I'm *suddenly* full-time again (0 to 100% in nothing flat) I'll be able to do a little knitting on BART, but prob. not with the DPNs and all; sounds more like Tunisian swatch time and other projects I don't need charts/instruction sheets for.

DCM

aww...that kind of issue sucks - wrong info, poorly thought out working area AND you now have less time....

Well, deep breath. I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work.

I will say, I've known how to knit for a long time, but just worked squares and rectangles of stockinette or garter. I taught myself how to knit socks this spring so I could use yarn that is so bright it makes my eyes see spots when crocheting. They are for my 10yr old, I *must* love my girls....hehe.

If you still have issues with socks after this do let me know. I'll send you the link, and see if the links in the pattern for casting on, and doing the heel for these socks (which are magic loop) help.

It took me less than a week to teach myself; this did require a LOT of frogging and re-casting on so now I have it memorized. I've used WW, DK and sock weight and it works well with all of it.

I have no interest in knitting socks. They are gorgeous to look at, but I wear socks out here for about 3 weeks/year. If I have to wear work boots at my job, I would definitely not be wearing $40 socks with them.

So kudos to you, DogCatMom, for even taking on that challenge. I suspect the 3 or 4 little needles would be too much for me (unless you're doing them on two circulars, the thought of which also makes my eyes cross).

I found a really cool pattern on the cover of Knit Simple, Fall 2011 issue and I'm on my third hat from the pattern. It's very easy and knits up pretty fast. It's a K2 P2 pattern, with a row of straight knitting. This may be my new go-to hat pattern for when I need a quick project to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sort of finished with the shawl I was working on most of the summer. I say sort of because I need to block it and work in the ends but otherwise it's done, mistakes and all. (Found a couple of mistakes after binding off hundreds of stitches. I am not going back. Consider it finished.) At the moment I am knitting a sock. Ribbed Lace by Charlene Schurch from her Sensational Socks. This is the second sock and they are for my MIL who likes them. Fun to knit, but I realized when I finished the first one I will never wear lace socks, at least not as lacy as this. They're not for me. (Link shows first sock in progress.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hats and More hats! I seem to be making hats like crazy. It's a sure sign winter is coming!

I have no interest in knitting socks. They are gorgeous to look at, but I wear socks out here for about 3 weeks/year. If I have to wear work boots at my job, I would definitely not be wearing $40 socks with them.

So kudos to you, DogCatMom, for even taking on that challenge. I suspect the 3 or 4 little needles would be too much for me (unless you're doing them on two circulars, the thought of which also makes my eyes cross).

I've been swamped with work (this is a good thing; for several months this year, I had maybe 10 hours/MONTH of work). But, DesertCrocheter, I have perhaps a pattern for you: Arizona Flip Flop Socks . No longer need your feet feel smothered in wool! They can be pretty and cool at the same time!

As to The Horrid Socks Class: The instructor finally got the message. At the final class (last Wednesday, the 24th), she gave us a HANDOUT. But it was only on the Kitchener Stitch, done a very weird way, not even the grafting technique. No, Ladies; this was a strange pattern of two DPNs with an equal number of sts on each. Then p1 k1 and k1 p1 alternately, removing one st from each needle at a time. It was so strange that even after eight or so reps I didn't catch on.

Think I'll stick with grafting; it looks a lot like the piecing I've done in costumes when I've run short of fabric, the fixes I've done in crochet when something has gone wrong, and the repairs I've made to stuffed toys for the dogs using a very similar ladder stitch.

I'll give this shop another chance, but not this instructor.

In the meantime, I'm driving out to the third shop this afternoon to purchase the pattern for next Saturday's two-hour class, Linen Stitch Scarf. The homework is to CO 405 sts before 3:00 September 3. They call for Long-Tail Cast-On! :eek This means setting aside 35 feet (yes, feet) of yarn so there will be enough for the "tail." There's gotta be a better way, and that's why I'm picking up the pattern this afternoon.

DCM

P.S. Why do I feel as if this is an episode in "The Perils of Pauline"?!

Someone here in the 'ville a while back did some test knitting and crocheting to see which used less yarn. And surprisingly, under certain conditions, crochet won! But that's about all I remember.

Earlier this year I joined a kal on ravelry: a shawl based on "Around the World in 80 Days." and being OCD I started not one .... But 3 of them. as I love to upscale thread patterns to worsted weight, I have one in Vanna's Choice. I have another in lace weight merino. And the third is in crochet thread and I started it on toothpicks! I'm having a ball! With all kinds of options regarding beads and nupps, each one is entirely unique in which techniques are used.

I'm also playing along in a CAL there as well, making a couple of 12" squares a month to have an afghan by the end of the year. But I'm about 4 months behind on it.

If you're on Ravelry you can see most of them on my project page.

But, DesertCrocheter, I have perhaps a pattern for you: Arizona Flip Flop Socks . No longer need your feet feel smothered in wool! They can be pretty and cool at the same time!

That's too funny! I've seen these in stores and personally thought they were silly. No way I'd knit or crochet them. Seriously, I work with a guy who always wears sandals and when he has to wear shoes for a few weeks in the winter, he's always complaining about how his feet hurt. I'm not that extreme, but this time of year, I only wear socks during my morning run. Although my next dog obedience class starts this week and I'll wear sneakers and socks to keep the mosquitoes from biting my ankles--I hate that!

So I've been working on a knit Project Linus blanket for a month, and yesterday bound off. I gently laid it on my bed to behold--the thing is twice as long as it is wide! ARGH!!!!!!! :eek So I will start crocheting a different blanket from the bound off end tonight, since I crochet way faster than I knit. :eek Grrr! I'm so cranky about it. I know it's my own fault, because I was just making up a 4-row repeat of knit and purl so I wouldn't fall asleep knitting this thing, but still!

• 2 weeks later...

I also don't have any desire to make socks. I don't know why, but I just don't want to.

I am making a sweater in pink yarn for the little girl I babysit for. It's in Jiffy yarn that I found when cleaning out my daughter's room.

• 2 months later...

Another hat. This time in a varigated yarn with red, green, blue and white. It should be cool when completed.

The Snowbaby Dishcloth from this blog. There are a lot of great knit dishcloth patterns on the site.

You have to scroll down the page for the dishcloth pattern.

That is a great dishcloth. Thanks for sharing.

Well, actually I am crocheting a Seraphina, LOL. But waiting on me are two knitting WIPs, a beret knitted by the recipe in Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears and a pair of socks which I set aside in order to do other things for a while. I like the socks but just needed a break from them. (This does not include the lovely lace scarf which I refuse to call a UFO but which truly ought to be done as a Christmas gift — since I messed around and didn't finish it LAST year for a Christmas gift. :ohdear)

Archived