Kitty Collars

RelicRaider

I've been having trouble finding a collar to fit Miss Cleo properly, and yesterday Mr. Oz broke his, so I sat down this evening and created them both new ones. Pink and white for Cleo and white/yellow/green for Oscar (Oz).

They seem to fit pretty good and are held together at the ends with a couple strands of sewing thread so they can be easily broken if they get caught up on anything. Safety first with the kitties. :) Cleo has a bit of bling on hers (a flat, round pearly looking bead) and both have a bell, helps the kiddo know when Oz is sneaking up on him, lol.

They were super simple to make. I used cotton and did just the basic single crochet (2 stitches wide) until the length needed. One I used rings at each end of it (didn't find them until the first one was done), which made it a little easier to put together with the sewing thread. Didn't take but a few minutes each to make. Took longer to wrangle the cats into them than it did to create them. :)

post-17323-135897681556_thumb.jpg

post-17323-135897681559_thumb.jpg

Those are so cute. When I read the title I was wondering how you made them safe for them. The thread was a good idea. If I put my cat in a color with a bell she would sulk under the table and refuse to even look at me! :)

They still have them on this morning! I was so afraid I'd get up to two collars laying in the floor. LOL Kiddo is happy because he can now hear Oz coming again (Oz HATES the kid and attacks him without warning, sad but true), which makes him much easier to avoid.

I've tried collars on Cleo in the past and besides them being too big, she freaked out big time. When I put this one on her, she tried to look down at it, decided her neck needed a bath and went on about her business as if nothing unusual had happened. Got to admit, her reaction shocked me a bit. Hubby said maybe the cotton feels better to her than the nylon of store bought ones did. *shrugs* Who knows?

And thanks. Oz has such a pretty brown and black striped coat with a heart shaped pattern on one side and pretty swirls, really unique in color (I grew up with orange or gray kitties, so he was something else IMO) and Cleo has the prettiest black swirl patterns. She's also Miss Independent and does her own thing. Doesn't care to be held at all and isn't really big on being petted either, though she will allow it a little. Oz is a mama's boy, always curling up with me for a nap or insisting on sitting on mama's chest. He's so jealous of hubby it's hilarious.

that is cute... I played with the idea of making a "fashion" collar for the Dog. but Not like we take him anywhere yet. he's still to puppy and hypwer. Still gotta work on calmin him down

I spoke too soon! Shortly after my last post, I looked up to find Oz collarless again. Silly cat. Apparently two strands of regular sewing thread was too flimsy for him, so I doubled it to four this time. Maybe it'll last longer. He broke it while scratching--silly kitty. At least it's super easy to put back on him, just retie with new thread. :)

I find putting a collar on them early is usually best, as it allows them to get used to it. The only reason Cleo didn't get one earlier is because she's got a little bitty head and neck and they were all way too big. No idea why I didn't think to make her one sooner. She's like half the size of Oz and she's already 9 months old, so I figure she won't be getting much bigger if any at all.

• 1 year later...
I've been having trouble finding a collar to fit Miss Cleo properly, and yesterday Mr. Oz broke his, so I sat down this evening and created them both new ones. Pink and white for Cleo and white/yellow/green for Oscar (Oz).

They seem to fit pretty good and are held together at the ends with a couple strands of sewing thread so they can be easily broken if they get caught up on anything. Safety first with the kitties. :) Cleo has a bit of bling on hers (a flat, round pearly looking bead) and both have a bell, helps the kiddo know when Oz is sneaking up on him, lol.

They were super simple to make. I used cotton and did just the basic single crochet (2 stitches wide) until the length needed. One I used rings at each end of it (didn't find them until the first one was done), which made it a little easier to put together with the sewing thread. Didn't take but a few minutes each to make. Took longer to wrangle the cats into them than it did to create them. :)

That's a great idea. We have 5 cats and some of them cannot seam to keep theirs on. They are all indoors but they are a rowdy bunch. One (Persephone) is about 17 lbs so we do put a collar on her...a crocheted one just might do the trick. Thanks for the idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived