Please help: Lacy scarf for my mom

regka

Hello All!

I just taught myself to crochet online using YouTube videos last week. I want to make a scarf for my mom. The pattern I like is posted on Lion's website (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0435B.html). I've started it about 5 times but it doesn't look right at all. :think I guess I don't really know what "skip" or "space" means... I've tried searching the internet, but I can't figure this out! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the pattern also:

SCARF

Ch 19.

Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook (first 4 skipped chs make turning ch-sp), dc in next ch, *(dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch, skip next ch, dc in next 2 ch; rep from * across to last ch, dc in last ch - 3 pattern reps at the end of this row.

Row 2: Ch 4 (for turning ch-sp), turn, *(3 dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch-3 sp; rep from * across to turning ch-sp, 3 dc in turning ch-sp.

Rep last row until almost all yarn has been used. Scarf should measure about 76 in. (193 cm). Fasten off.

Thank you!!:)

Katie

So when it says *(3 dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch-3 sp, the "3 sp" means to do 3 dcs into the space created by the chain? in other words, do a dc, do a chain of 3, then dc into the next stitch (creating a loop/space out of the ch 3), and then put my hook through the space and dc 3 times into that?

Thanks so much! I'm so sorry that I'm not catching on to this, haha.

you almost got it ;)

(3dc, ch 3, dc) in the next ch 3 sp means you do all the things in the parenthesis in the ch 3 space. 1st you work 3 dc into that space, then you chain 3, then in the same space do a dc

Then you do the same exact thing in the next ch3 space and the next, etc.

If you're still unclear about the ch-3 spaces and the rest, take a look at http://crochet.about.com/od/crochetstitches/ss/Lacy_V_Stitches.htm

One way to gear your search toward videos that will help this specific kind of crocheted lace (part of what I do for a living involves knowing how to do a quick, focused Search) is to use the phrase

basic lace crochet video tutorial (which I just did).

Then, if you go to the Advanced Search on your browser, set it to also NOT show you anything with

hairpin broomstick filet Tunisian

which are additional styles of crocheted lace which this scarf is not.

The remaining hits on your Search should be high-percentage helpful videos and give you more confidence about what you're doing with the hook and the yarn. :)

Best wishes.

DCM

Archived