Cotton yarn beginner....

saint6811

Question

I would like to try crocheting with cotton yarn, like the Sugar N Cream....what would be a good beginner pattern to try that will keep me interested and result in an item that would be useful or fun? I am an intermediate level crocheter, but have not worked in anything but ww or similar weight yarns.

Thank you!

Joy :)

12 answers to this question

I think you'll like it! I find it a nice change from acrylic/wool/blends now and again.

Well, my first item that fits in your ideas would be a dishcloth or two. Its similar in thickness, but it has a different flow/drape as you work with it. Try it with an I hook, and do single or hdc. You could search for dish cloth patterns; there are SO many free ones. Its quick and will give you an idea of how the yarn works.

I've thought about doing soap holders, where you put a bar of soap in the square and stitch it shut. Also small, fast and useful! You could use any stitches you like, really.

Dishcloths are a great way to try out new stitches but practical. I find they are great cleaners. My niece gave me my first knit one and then when I learned I started making my own. Some end up being too pretty, but for the most part ours get dirty, wash clean, and are up for the task again.

If you are an intermediate crocheter, it seems to me you don't need a beginner pattern necessarily. you might want to practice some familiar stitch patterns in the cotton as it will feel different. cotton yarn has no elasticity and it can be uncomfortable to crochet with.

this blog has some nice patterns, i've made the Little Starbursts http://bloomingpatterns.blogspot.com/2008/04/little-starbursts-dishcloth.html

it's an interesting stitch pattern. it's one of those "trust the pattern" types, don't overthink it, just follow it :lol

also this towel would make a nice dishcloth, just make it a little shorter http://bloomingpatterns.blogspot.com/2008/07/hi-five-towel.html

Thank you all for your replies :) Yes, Kathy, I really dont want to go all the way back to basics and do sc projects, and I have not done anything with the star stitch, so I think I will try those patterns you provided links for...I will do a swatch of course for gauge, which will give me some 'practice' to get the feel of working with the cotton...and I'm not afraid of a little frogging when necessary, lol!

If anyone else has some ideas, I would welcome them....if I like working with the cotton, I would like to delve into some other things like Christmas ornaments, cozies, etc..... :)

Joy

I :heart cotton and use it for every thing... totes, toys, anything I can think of. :)

The different brands of cotton have different feels and textures to them. The cheaper cottons have a tendency to snag on the hook. I think my favorite for kitchen stuff right now is Bernat.

Peaches and Cream is smoother than Sugar and Cream. The small balls are pretty cheap so you can try out the different brands and see which ones you like to work with.

Thank you all for your replies :) Yes, Kathy, I really dont want to go all the way back to basics and do sc projects, and I have not done anything with the star stitch, so I think I will try those patterns you provided links for...I will do a swatch of course for gauge, which will give me some 'practice' to get the feel of working with the cotton...and I'm not afraid of a little frogging when necessary, lol!

If anyone else has some ideas, I would welcome them....if I like working with the cotton, I would like to delve into some other things like Christmas ornaments, cozies, etc..... :)

Joy

There is no need to go back to basics with all the dish cloth patterns out there. There are tons of free and patterns to buy with various stitch challenges. I just picked up a few books at my favorite second hand store.

The different brands of cotton have different feels and textures to them. The cheaper cottons have a tendency to snag on the hook. I think my favorite for kitchen stuff right now is Bernat.

Peaches and Cream is smoother than Sugar and Cream. The small balls are pretty cheap so you can try out the different brands and see which ones you like to work with.

Thank you for this info.....I wouldnt know which is better than the others, since I've not worked in cotton yet....I have two balls of SNC, and 1 ball of PNC that I picked up at Walmart the other day to try out. I will try the Bernat as well, just for comparison....I figure if I have to struggle too much with using the cotton, I may well give up, and if a better product is easier to work with that could be the difference in my continuing to work with it. :)

From now on, I don't know how much difference there will be between Sugar & Cream and Peaches & Creme; the company that made P&C has been bought out by the company that makes S&C. Some previous discussion here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124336

Archived