Crocodile stitch

nelda9

Question

Can someone please tell me in simple terms how to do the crocodile stitch? I have watched videos, read patterns, and all are different and I am so frustrated trying to figure this out. I have been crocheting for mure than 60 years.

I'm also on board with buying the book when it comes out. I'm having such fun making my scarf, so I will really enjoy making some of the projects in it. I had to watch Yarn Muse's videos a few times to get all the directions right, but once I got it, it was easy. I'm looking forward to making further use of this stitch!

There are several members who have made Bernat's "mermaid Tears" purse. It looks just like the crocodile stitch, but the base (the part the scales are made upon) is created differently. It's not as much of an open mesh pattern like the original crocodile stitch.

If you are making a purse, I'd check out Bernat's pattern. If you are going to make something that needs drape, then I'd definitely stick with the original crocodile stitch pattern.

If you haven't had a look, check out some of the bags that were made. They are very pretty :)

When I made this tea cozy awhile back, I think I was doing the crocodile stitch and didn't know it. The pattern is free from crochetroo. http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2006/05/scallop-tea-cosy-instructions.html

This so called crocodile stitch looks very much like my scallop tea cosy. Interesting how this has been reinvented.

nelda9 I watched the YouTube and crocheted right along with the video. Took about an hour and a half of pause and play, but I finally got the hang of it. Once that happened; I just kept going and going and going LOL.

One suggestion....use a larger hook so you can see where to put the hook. Once I changed to a larger hook, it got a lot easier.

Also this stitch takes a lot of yarn. When I got to the end of the yarn, my strip was only about 2 feet or so and that was AFTER I had changed to a smaller hook.

Hope this helps.

I received the book two weeks ago and finally sat down last night to try the wristlet. It was surprisingly easy and only ripped out once. My sister-in-law told me she watched the you tube video to get going on a scarf that she made on the fly. It turned out really well. So far I am pleased with the wristlet. I will post pictures once I finish one of them. This is a really cool stitch combination.

Is there a video for the crocodile stitch available for left handers? I've tried to follow the directions and reverse them to do this stitch, but it never comes out straight. I like the looks of the pattern and want to try something with it, but I just get frustrated each time I try it.

Long time left handed crocheter, merfyslaw.

crocodile stitch for lefties....here ya go:

Is there a video for the crocodile stitch available for left handers? I've tried to follow the directions and reverse them to do this stitch, but it never comes out straight. I like the looks of the pattern and want to try something with it, but I just get frustrated each time I try it.

Long time left handed crocheter, merfyslaw.

I think this stitch is so fun!

I made a practice swatch a while back from the yarn-muse blog tutorial.

post-18634-135897681682_thumb.jpg

I am waiting also for the book to come back out. Its on my wish list. :D

:heart

:mug

I agree with you DebraKay I still playing around with the stitch to and plan to get the book too as there are several things would love to make from this book. Yarn muse gives you hints how to approach the stitch some pass so quick that had a hard time to figure it out. I can't tell how many times I started it and ripped it apart other the yarn is so fuzzed up right now will have to start again.

She has the best directions and video's for this stitch she tells and gives extra hints how to make this work right. Read her pattern and watch her video's.

I agree -- I like the Yarn Muse directions too! I will use them and play around with the stitch but I am still planning on buying the book on Annies Attic when it comes out -- It is not so much back-ordered (even tho that is what it says when you try to order) as it is "not yet released!" It is in the "What's Coming Soon/New Releases" section! The book gives a lot of variety to use the stitch and if you haven't got it down pat by the time it is released, some extra tutorials too!

The book isn't JUST to learn the stitch, it is to have some great projects to try the stitch out on! I think this is the stitch of the year! Seems like every year or two there are stitches and patterns that sort of take the crochet world by its hooks! This is the year of the crocodile stitch and the decade of the Round Ripples and Sock Monkeys. At least that is my take on the popularity/fads of current crochet trends. Anyone else see others that are taking the crochet world by storm this year/decade? I think it is fun to see how the trends come and go. I love it when a trend that was "in" when I first started crocheting comes back in vogue again! Makes me feel old or young depending on the day! LOL! Sock Monkey patterns are sort of like that. Even though I don't remember crocheting a sock monkey, they were certainly popular when I was very young and now they are all the rage again. I get a kick out of all the variations in colors and uses for the sock monkeys. I forsee the crocodile stitch going in a similar direction. What could be taken as literal as making a crocodile or alligator can also be used for a stitch to make something fancy like a shawl or evening bag. But it can also be used for totes, potholders, and afghans. No end to the possibilities! FUN!

I noticed that the yarn-muse does 2 dc throuhout the first row.... art of crochet by teresa does 2dc alternating with 1 dc..

I am curious to the difference???

I found this link on Crochet Pattern Central with videos exhibiting how to do the stitch. I learned from these and hopefully, you can too. Good luck and enjoy! :crocheting

http://yarn-muse.blogspot.com/2011/01/crocodile-stitch.html

She has the best directions and video's for this stitch she tells and gives extra hints how to make this work right. Read her pattern and watch her video's.

I was just looking through Annie's Attic site and came across this: http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?code=871123 in their What's coming section! A whole book dedicated to the Crocodile stitch! I'll bet it will clear this up for you! Looks like one I'd like to have just because it is unique.

I love this stitch I see many possibility's with it thank for the link for this book I hope to get when it comes back. I watch a couple video's Tresea has a good tutorial for it another sunshine blog too. Looks fairly easy will play video over many times and I hope that I can learn this stitch too.

Archived