my hobby

what am I doing wrong with my squares?

Question

Every time I crochet a square, no matter what style it is, my squares are never even. I am always off 1/2 inch when I turn the square. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.:think

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Hi!

Do you have a picture? Is it a granny square or worked more like a swatch (small square or rectangle worked back and forth)? How its worked will help me determine what is going on.

I don't have a picture. But my basic granny squares with not measure the same around and I have no idea why. My tension is always the same.

are you following a pattern?

if not, can you describe how you make the squares?

what yarn and hook are you using?

Count your stitches along each side and make sure you have the same number for each side per round :think

My stitches are fine. I think the problem is when I chain to do the next round I am losing height to it. Because thats the side that is always shorter and I don't know how to adjust that.

It has to either be tension or stitch count - things don't come out off shape if both of those are spot on. Perhaps you are pushing too many stitches into the space below or pulling tighter on one side than another, even if you aren't aware you are doing it. Sometimes mine look a little "off" but just blocking them quickly solves the problem. Mine is just that when I'm starting out the row, there is less to hold on to versus when I'm at the end of the row and I have another inch (or so) to hold on to while crocheting.

My stitches are fine. I think the problem is when I chain to do the next round I am losing height to it. Because thats the side that is always shorter and I don't know how to adjust that.

If you are doing a dc then you would ch 3 - if you are doing hdc you would ch2

if you are doing grannies are you using the same yarn weight for all of them?