My first attempt at a polymer clay handle for my crochet hooks

I love a 4.25mm hook for size, but there is not an egronomically enhanced one on the market.

The black and white handle has been added to a 1.25 mm hook and was a total success. The Mondrian inspired handle was added to a 4.5 mm hook and while the hook is overall easier to use, the handle is to heavy, so I will be giving this another go.

Here is a blog post with all of the resources I used to do this project.

post-43348-135897679233_thumb.jpg

very cool! I use those foam cushy things from Susan Bates on my Boye hooks. I broke my ring finger at the first joint (closed it in the back hatch of a durango. ouch!) It messed up a lot of nerves and the hook moving over it can set it off. The cushy things seem to work well for me but that black/white one is just cool looking! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was amazed how easy it was to work with the clay. I made 9 and used a combination of colors. I made a Thumb print on all but 1 I forgot to do it with the first one. It has been dropped many times on tile floors and have not cracked or broke yet. The Clay really holds up.

3 are for a friend when I finish her doily so I plan to make me more~~

I like your black n white one, the rainbow one is pretty to.

post-1457-135897695802_thumb.jpg

post-1457-135897695805_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice. I was going to try this myself til I found and ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Handle made by Boye this summer. It comes with the ergonomic handle and different sized washers to place over the hooks size 2.25mm-6.5mm. I can't remember the price of it, but it was less than $20.00. I picked it up when I was on Vancouver Island in July and got it in a little yarn store.

• 3 months later...

Wow I am loving looking at all those hooks.. Love the color combos etc.

I gave it a crack over the weekend and having a ball...of fun

hugs

Lillibet

QUOTE=sunnywolfgar;2344323]I was amazed how easy it was to work with the clay. I made 9 and used a combination of colors. I made a Thumb print on all but 1 I forgot to do it with the first one. It has been dropped many times on tile floors and have not cracked or broke yet. The Clay really holds up.

3 are for a friend when I finish her doily so I plan to make me more~~

I like your black n white one, the rainbow one is pretty to.

Hi cuddlebug

I love your handles on your hooks...

I gave it a crack over the weekend and I am having lots of fun...

hugs

Lillibet

I love a 4.25mm hook for size, but there is not an egronomically enhanced one on the market.

The black and white handle has been added to a 1.25 mm hook and was a total success. The Mondrian inspired handle was added to a 4.5 mm hook and while the hook is overall easier to use, the handle is to heavy, so I will be giving this another go.

Here is a blog post with all of the resources I used to do this project.

Archived