Just start out need some advice

Nickyz_N_Stitchez

Question

As I stated early, I started learning to crotchet about two days ago. I am teaching myself and I need some guidance. Just starting out what should my main focus be? There are so many things that seem important. Should I be working on tension? and what is gauging?? When should I start trying to make something? Right now, all I am making are little squares of stitches that I am trying to learn. So far I have learned the chain and the single crochet and ever time I think I am going make something it seems way to advanced. I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed and discouraged:(. Does anyone have any advice they can give to a beginner??

12 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the Ville!:hook

I think it is helpful to have a good book that you can refer to to learn different sttiches, learn about gauge, etc. and these books usually have some easy patterns to start on. If you would like some book recommendations, I can share my favorites, and other people have different favorites. Books written for kids/teens can be really good resources, because they usually have very clear instructions and illustrations, and cute projects.

The little squares of stitches that you are making would be considered "swatches" and a lot of crocheters make many swatches to learn new stitch patterns. It's fine to keep on making little swatches, it's a great way to practice. When you've been crocheting for years, a swatch is still the best way to check gauge and be sure you like the combination of yarn and stitch pattern before you start on a project.

in the thread below in my signature, there is good advice from a bunch of Ville members.

Don't be discoraged, give yourself time to learn!

I found the children's section at the library was great for learning the basic stitches. I wasn't always crazy about the projects, but the directions were clear and easy to follow.

I found dishcloths using cotton yarn were great starting projects, practical, and a good way to try out new stitches and practice directions as I was learning to read them. I wish I had known about cotton as I found the acrylic squares I made rather impractical in the beginning for much of anything when I was finished.

I started out just like you- making lots of swatches. I would learn the basic stitches first (sc, dc, hdc, tr)

and then try a project. I liked to make flowers since they worked up fast and you don't have to be an experienced crocheter. You should look at Crochet Pattern Central. Good Luck!!

:welcome to the vile.

The single crochet (sc) and chain (ch) are good starting points. Next you'll want to learn the half double crochet (hdc) and the double crochet (dc). As your making your practice swatches, definitely pay attention to the tension and trying to keep it uniform which will come naturally with practice.

Since we all crochet at different tensions, some looser and others tighter, when you look at a pattern, it will give instructions for a guage swatch. That is basically what your doing already, it will give the number of stitches across with the number of rows and give you the measurements it should be. If it's the same, you can move forward with the pattern, if not, you need to make adjustments if you want the finished product at proper size, more important with a wearable item for sizing :yes

Keep practicing the stitches and a dishcloth is good to start with since they're small, then you can progress to a simple scarf, which will still help with the practice. I also recommend to make it a practice of counting stitches to be sure you're not adding extra or skipping some. But it sounds like your on the right track.

If you're looking at patterns, look for the 'beginner' level ones. Getting a 'learn to crochet' book was a great idea too suggested by someone already. It will go over the basics and have a few simple patterns to try too.

Good luck and remember, we're just a post away :lol Oh, BTW I've found u-tube to be quite helpful with learning stitches :yes:wink

Welcome to the 'Ville!

You can go get some cotton yarn like Lilly's Sugar 'N Cream at your local store and turn those little swatches into very useful dishcloths! Then you'll be learning while making something useful!

Good Luck and don't hesitate to aks questions here! We all LOVE to help!

Lynn

Welcome to the 'Ville!

You can go get some cotton yarn like Lilly's Sugar 'N Cream at your local store and turn those little swatches into very useful dishcloths! Then you'll be learning while making something useful!

Good Luck and don't hesitate to aks questions here! We all LOVE to help!

Lynn

I was going to say all of that :D

Another really good beginner project is scarves. Especially the new skinny scarfs. Find a stitch you want to practice. Make a chain that's about 5 feet long and then just go to town. Once the scarf is finished you'll know the stitch by heart.

I think the best part about crochetville is how much all the wonderful ladies here love to help and offer advice. It's a very supportive environment, especially for beginners. No question is too basic of silly and there are NO stupid questions. If any of us can help someone to learn and love our craft we're all gung ho on making it happen.

:welcome

well, I don't remember what I made with single crochet when I first started but when you progess to double crochet you might try granny squares they're simple and you can use them to make hot pads or even an afghan.

don't forget that there are you tube videos and now the 'ville has their own channel! But there are a lot of other you tube videos available for most any and every stitch you might want to learn. Entire patterns are on there too!

someone already mentioned it, but my biggest problem is keeping the row counts the same. I have a harder time sometimes making simple swatches like you are and keeping the row count!

Welcome to crochetville! I am a self-starter too so kudos.

Here's what I remember starting out. Make sure to count stitches once in awhile cause my mom's table runner was wide on one side and got thinner on the other lol. Don't forget the last "stitch" (it doesn't look like a stitch cause it's usually a chain segment) cause it's easy to miss. Um.... Try regular granny squares after you have mastered the double crochet. That will help you learn how to work in the round. Um.... I dunno if this helps but you mentioned tension and I thought I would address that. When I first started I didn't know how to hold my yarn with my spare hand to keep the stitches even (tension) and so I just let the strand of yarn I was using hang loose. It worked.... But it kinda sucked cause it was all tight. So I guess the moral of the story is try to learn how you can hold that strand of yarn cause it gets harder later on to figure it out. It was so hard! Oh and there is no specific way you HAVE to hold it either. I tried copying people off videos, but I ended up with my own style of holding the yarn. I think its just important to be able to clamp down on it when you want and let it slide over your hand when you don't. Gauge? I wouldn't work on any projects that have a specific gauge for awhile. As a newbie I still try to avoid gauge oriented work. Oh! Just a couple more things. I would suggest one of those little booklets from Wal-Mart titles I Taught Myself to Crochet. Usually comes in plastic with hooks and such. Maybe you don't want the patterns, but useful reference for basics with pics. Also, make YouTube your friend. Soooo many tutorials. I wouldn't have learned to crochet if it hadn't been for it!

As for this website I would look at joining a Crochet Along when you feel up to it. Also, do not be afraid to ask any questions because everyone here is amazing and will try to help. I hope you enjoy learning the craft!

When I first began how to crochet, my mother taught me how to chain, then sent me off to practice. I came back after I had chained the entire skein of yarn and asked her how to put it together..:)...it's very funny now....

What I do with my beginners and just what you have started to do, however, when they feel like they have mastered the one stitch, I have them begin doing the next stitch without starting over....for example, you started with the single crochet and have done maybe 10 or 15 rows of it, starting on the next row, I would have you do the half crochet and continue that for several rows, then the double, then the triple, then back to the double, triple, half and end with the single, by the time you have practiced all of the stitches and become familiar with them, you have yourself a scarf....then you aren't 'sewing' a bunch of swatches together (I find that very tedious myself). And you'll feel like you've accomplished something. It's also a good way to practice finishing and starting a new color as you start a new stitch.

The rest of the advice presented is wise as well, just remember, do what feels good for you, when something is made with love, it will be cherished. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to go for perfection.....because that is a matter of perspective.

Enjoy your new journey....

My best advice is to go to You Tube and just watch a bunch of crochet videos just like ball players start out as little ones watching the greats play ball.

Just see it all as eye candy until you have your feet under you but you will see pros doing good stuff. Three of our Ville members have great stuff... Look for Bethintx, Crochet Cabana and tjw (Theresa)

Like I said Eye Candy while you practice your scales. :rofl

What everybody said above. You are off to a good start, making swatches and learning how to make stitches, and where to put stitches to keep a piece even, is the way to go. In doing the above you will also be learning to keep your tension consistent, so it all comes together with practice. Don't be discouraged, hang in there!

Archived