wool eater/baravian in rows?

muise

Question

I have started the wool eater/ baravian in rounds. so it is completely square. I have decided I want it rectangle and am wondering if there is a way to just do rows on the ends to make it longer or would it be better to make smaller squares done in rounds for each end. I thought the rows would look better but not sure how to go about starting/ending them so it keeps the sides straight. has anyone tried this? let me know what you all think.

thanks

21 answers to this question

I've made several rectangular ones. The start is completely different than the square. Similar in shape to a rectangular granny, you need to have an idea of how wide/long you would like the throw to be since these types of afghans grow exponentially.I've also have made it in a hexagon as well called the "Ring of Flowers" throw which appeared in the April 2011 edition of Crochet World.

Hi there! This is my first post here, so my apologies if this is out of line, but can you point me toward instructions for the foundation row of a rectangular wooleater/bavarian/wheel stitch? I don't mind paying for a pattern, but I haven't even been able to find a hint that one exists!

Thank you so much, this looks like a really friendly place.

Story

Anyway, here's a picture of the strip I did just to experiment, and a close-up. I'm still practicing, so it's a little bumpy in spots, but I think I have worked it out.

Comments/criticisms/questions are welcome!

This looks fabulous. Good on you.. I'm feeling a twinge of guilt that I did not get any further with my square one. :sigh

After posting this, I decided to try and see if I could figure it out for myself. (I'm impatient like that.) I started with the pattern that CrochetDad had posted, the one that starts with two wheels, and tweaked it a bit (for example, I do much better with double stitches than triple). I even busted out an Excel spreadsheet and I THINK I have worked out how to calculate the number of chain stitches to start with for any number of wheels in the foundation row. Once I got the foundation row worked out, CrochetDad, I used your instructions for the clusters & shells, but kept with double stitches.

Anyway, here's a picture of the strip I did just to experiment, and a close-up. I'm still practicing, so it's a little bumpy in spots, but I think I have worked it out.

Story,

Congratulations! This is exactly what I had planned to do. Yours looks great.

ok, newbe question. If you are working a square. Could you not work to the corner, Chain what you need to raise a level, crochet back to the center, slip stich down, crochet back to other corner, chain up, work back to the center. This would add 2 rows to one side, and begin the half row of the granny on top. Go down ths side of the piece to the other side and repeat. Once you close the granny you have now added 2 rows to both sides and added 1 full granny. Would this make it look bad?

Jason

hmmm, did not see the pictures before I posted. Willing to bet this would not work for that stitch. But I have to wonder if it would work for the granny I learned on.

After posting this, I decided to try and see if I could figure it out for myself. (I'm impatient like that.) I started with the pattern that CrochetDad had posted, the one that starts with two wheels, and tweaked it a bit (for example, I do much better with double stitches than triple). I even busted out an Excel spreadsheet and I THINK I have worked out how to calculate the number of chain stitches to start with for any number of wheels in the foundation row. Once I got the foundation row worked out, CrochetDad, I used your instructions for the clusters & shells, but kept with double stitches.

:cheer:cheer:clap

I think that might be just what I need! :clap

I will probably order the book next time I get paid. Wow, you guys rock!

post-56934-135897722873_thumb.jpg

post-56934-135897722907_thumb.jpg

Hi there! This is my first post here, so my apologies if this is out of line, but can you point me toward instructions for the foundation row of a rectangular wooleater/bavarian/wheel stitch? I don't mind paying for a pattern, but I haven't even been able to find a hint that one exists!

Story

Hi and welcome to the ville:hook. Annies attic has a book http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=81708. Looks like it includes a rectangle table runner.

Story,

I STARTED a rectangle version and began documenting the process in my blog. I never finished the afghan - one of my WIPs. The evolution of the rectangle version started with another blog post, but the result was not as desired - the width versus length wasn't thought out properly. My intention is to allow the reader to create an afghan of any desired size.

Since I've had several requests for the method to start the afghan, I'll move this todo item up on my list.

Believe it or not, your blog post with the unfinished rectangle is actually what got me fixated on the idea. I want to make a massive blanket for my own house. I've given dozens away over the years, and I don't own a single one of my own creations. I plan to use 2 strands and a large hook with a single color, and I believe the texture would be perfect.

Now I just have to learn how to do this particular stitch combination....

Story

Story,

I STARTED a rectangle version and began documenting the process in my blog. I never finished the afghan - one of my WIPs. The evolution of the rectangle version started with another blog post, but the result was not as desired - the width versus length wasn't thought out properly. My intention is to allow the reader to create an afghan of any desired size.

Since I've had several requests for the method to start the afghan, I'll move this todo item up on my list.

Did crochet dad ever finish his rectangular afghan, I never saw anymore posts on it.

No, it became one of my WIPs. I've used the Bavarian Crochet (a.k.a. wooleater) theme in other projects, though.

I agree with a couple of people here - making this square into a rectangle will not give a smooth result. It would be better to start over with the proper length/width in mind at the start.

I've made several rectangular ones. The start is completely different than the square. Similar in shape to a rectangular granny, you need to have an idea of how wide/long you would like the throw to be since these types of afghans grow exponentially.I've also have made it in a hexagon as well called the "Ring of Flowers" throw which appeared in the April 2011 edition of Crochet World.

What about making a second one and stitching them together to make a rectangle? Just a thought.

I'm thinking that you will not be happy with what you are suggesting. That pattern is not amenable to patch-as-patch-can looks and it will likely always look like you stuck stuff on the end(s) to make it bigger.

I've been there, done that and hated the T-shirt. Just saying...

:wlol

I'm sure you can make it into a rectangle but it might not look as clean as you would like because you'll have to have loose ends to weave in at the ends of the rows. You would have to try to figure out a way to make a "half" wheel (being cut down the middle vertically) because half your rows will create full wheel stitches and the other half of the rows will leave half-wheel stitches on either side of the row end (alternating)

yeah, i saw that. but not what I am looking for. I already have it started and am to the size square I want. I am just looking for ways to turn it now into a rectangle. I don't want to start it all over again

It's possible to make a foundation row that you then work around, so you are making a rectangle. I know one of our members here (Gene, crochetdad) was doing this, and I *think* he posted instructions for how to start. You could do a little digging and try to find his posts on this very topic.

Archived