Anybody use a knitting machine?

I have tried repeatedly to learn how to knit and let me tell you, I just SUCK at it. I was thinking of getting a knitting machine, but I don't want to spend the money if I won't be able to. Are the machines easier than knitting by hand? Is it worth the money?

Some people love them. Me - I couldn't stand it. I paid close to $100 for the small one years ago and hubby decided to sell it on ebay. I got $2 for it.

You may like it. Check ebay - you might find a great deal. Don't use anything thicker than Simply Soft with it tho.

• 3 weeks later...
I have tried repeatedly to learn how to knit and let me tell you, I just SUCK at it. I was thinking of getting a knitting machine, but I don't want to spend the money if I won't be able to. Are the machines easier than knitting by hand? Is it worth the money?

Have you tried the Continental style of knitting?:knit I had the same problem as you trying to learn years ago. Then I tried the continental way and it's much faster and fun to do. Just :google it and try it out and see if you like it. :yes

Have you tried the Continental style of knitting?:knit I had the same problem as you trying to learn years ago. Then I tried the continental way and it's much faster and fun to do. Just :google it and try it out and see if you like it. :yes

I struggled for years too until I stumbled across Debbie Stoller's books...there is one I particularly recommend, if you go to Amazon and search her and a book starting with "stitch n..." you should find it, I didn't want to post the title up here as it has a "naughty word" in it! :blush

I could not purl to save my life before I had this book, but it has a couple of different ways of doing it and one which suited me down to the ground. :clap

Kim Guzman is teaching "Knitting for Crocheters" in a week or so; look under "Online Crochet Classes" for more information.

Re. knitting machines: I recently went to the Oakland Fiber & Textile Festival (July 10). One of the vendors was demonstrating a knitting machine. It's pretty complicated, AND it's a yarn pig. I agree w/RoseRed: look for an inexpensive one on eBay or maybe craigslist rather than buying one new. I check craigslist frequently for garage sales, and knitting machines show up in my area about twice a week.

But give Kim a try first.

I learned Continental knitting earlier this year myself, and it has made all the difference in the world. English style? ==> I couldn't do anything. Continental style? ==> I can actually knit; still slowly, but recognizably KNIT. :)

DCM

I've not used a machine, but I'll cast another vote for Continental. Also, a vote for circular needles.

I learned to knit around the same time as I learned to crochet, using 14" needles. I knitted a few simple things, then stopped and kept going with crochet. Fast forward (ahem, mumble) decades, I wanted to try knitting again and pulled out the 14" needles. Ugh, it was like using telephone poles. I tried circulars, where the needles are barely wider than your hand and MUCH easier to manipulate.

Have you tried the knitting looms? I have made a few hats with them. I have to spend more time to practice, but I have liked using them even though I can do very little with actual knitting needles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Sorry about the delay - my laptop died on me and I just got a new one. I will give knitting a try again sometime and I will definitely try continental. I was thinking of taking a knitting class at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Have you tried the knitting looms? I have made a few hats with them. I have to spend more time to practice, but I have liked using them even though I can do very little with actual knitting needles.

I have only used the looms as well. I made a ton of scarves,a few hats and a baby blanket with them. I still prefer my good ol' crochet hooks.:hook

• 1 month later...

I thought about this thread while looking for yarn/book/supply deals on craigslist just now.

There are at least FOUR knitting machines being offered for sale in the San Francisco Bay Area right now, to give you (whoever "you" might be) an idea of how common they are on the used market. One brand name is given as BOND, one as PASSAP, and the other two machines' brand names aren't supplied.

If anyone wants to get a knitting machine, look for a used one FIRST. There seem to be tons of them around!

DCM

• 4 weeks later...

i have a bond, have had for over 30 years i think. just got it out of the old craft room and am using it again. have made afghans, hats, scarfs and am trying to create fingerless gloves/wrist warmers, but think i have it figured out.

i cannot hand knit to save my life and am fine with just crocheting or bonding.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Sorry about the delay - my laptop died on me and I just got a new one. I will give knitting a try again sometime and I will definitely try continental. I was thinking of taking a knitting class at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

I can highly recommend taking a class. I tried to self teach for years, with very limited success. Then I took a class at a LYS. The teacher demonstrated both Continental and English style. She and I both thought that as a crocheter I would prefer Continental style knitting, but I'm much better and faster at English style. In any case, having someone who really knew what she was doing made all the difference. Good luck!

Archived