question about granny squares

hollier2002

Question

I have a question about granny squares. When you make a granny or any other kind of square, do you crochet over the tail that is left when you join the chain to make the circle? And if you do, do you cut it from there or do you do additional weaving?

If you are confused about what I am asking, let me give you an example:

In the pattern, it says, ch 4, sl st to form ring,

round 1, ch 3, 15 dc in ring

do you do all the dc's over the little tail then clip it or weave in more??

Will it stay put if I clip it there?

Help!

6 answers to this question

Crochet over the tail and it is one less to weave in later.

I am just putting a black border on some squares that my 89yr old mum made last year while she was still crocheting. Unfortunately, other than the first two rows which i did for her, the next 4 rows are all different colours so I have the lot to finish in when the afghan is complete. I usually leave it to the end, then I complete them all in the same direction. Dont ask me why, I just do.:think

The local Hospice is looking for afghans, as is the case everywhere, so I thought mum would be pleased that some of her work was going to a good cause.

All the others she made, so far, have gone to new babies but we do not have any of those any more.

The main thing to not do with your tails, is to cut them off too short. I find too, that breaking the yarn makes it easier to thread into the yarn needle when threading in the ends. Some yarn breaks easier than others so be careful. A blunt cut end is much harder to thread.

Have fun.:cheer

Colleen.

PS, I really must find out how to post some pictures. Someone did tell me but I cannot find the info now.

I think it is personal preference. It is easier if you work over your tail and does make it more secure. Me personally, I like to go back and reweave the worked over tail back in the other direction as well, just to make sure it is extra secure and less likely to work it's way out, but I'm pretty sure it is just my overly cautious nature that makes me do this.

I usually crochet over the tail and then if I feel like it (lazy me) I'll re enter the tail through the same holes, but backwards to make it more secure. I've had good luck just crocheting over the tail, though. As long as there's a good amount of dcs, I don't worry.

I think it is personal preference. It is easier if you work over your tail and does make it more secure. Me personally, I like to go back and reweave the worked over tail back in the other direction as well, just to make sure it is extra secure and less likely to work it's way out, but I'm pretty sure it is just my overly cautious nature that makes me do this.

I like to go back and reweave,too. Just to make sure it's going to stay...

Archived