Help with changing colors in filet crochet

Ro

Question

Heyyyelp!

I'm trying to make a filet pattern with two colors of yarn. Now, no matter what I do or how I try, it keeps coming out wonky. Even if I keep joining and cutting the yarn every time it switches off, I get a million loose ends and it still looks ridiculous.

How on earth do you carry over colors, one to another, to make a pattern in filet crochet? I'm trying to make a crescent moon against a blue background and I just cannot for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to change colors properly or carry along the color I'm not working with. If I carry it along just behind the stitches it still doesn't solve the problem of the color looking weird in the stitches where they change off... :bang

Should I just give up or can somebody save me from myself and my million loose ends?

TIA

Ro

2 answers to this question

Have a small ball of the main colour for each side of the contrast colour and one ball of the contrast.

Use the first ball of the main colour until you get to the last stitch to be done in that colour, now on the next stitch, do all but the last movement of the last stitch with the same colour, then use the contrast to finish the stitch. Do as much as you need to in the new colour and change over to the main colour in the same way as before.

Each time you get back to the contrast colour, carefully pull the yarn to where it needs to be, keeping the carry ups on the wrong side, and working the last part of the last stitch as before. Just keep doing this on each row instead of cutting the yarn.

I have never done this on Filet so I am not sure how it will look but as long as you catch the yarn up if you are going a lot of stitches between colour changes and make all the changes with the yarn at the wrong side of the work.

Maybe you could post a picture of the pattern and I could have a go to see how it will look.

Have fun.

Colleen

Archived