Crochet in the Dark?

I was trolling my local HobbyLobby and saw a crochet hook set with light up handles so that you can crochet in the dark. Has anyone used this? Are these any good? Are there that many instances that call for crocheting in the dark with a light up hook?

I'm not sure if I'm curious because I want to get one, or because I think it's just an interesting idea.

I've used them while driving on a long trip (actually, my husband was driving:)) and when it got dark I could still crochet without having the overhead light on. Also, they are good for everyday use on dark yarn even when it's light out.

I haven't seen the ones with light up handles. The ones I have the hook itself lights up. I don't use them - it hurts my eyes to have such a bright point of light at the tip of my work.

Does anyone have a link to the ones with light up handles?

I will have to check them out again. I want to remember that there was an LED light in the handle that shined on the hook. But maybe I was mistaken in how it was put together... I'll go look this week when I get back near a HobbyLobby. (The closest one is still 25 minutes away.)

Edit: HaHa! I found a link!

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/crochet-lite-hook-456822/

Apparently the light is in the handle, but it lights through the hook.

I love my lighted hooks...for dark yarns, and crocheting while camping and now that i have a NOOK color i can even use a pattern at night so no more simple dishcloths :clap

the glow in the dark hook sets are called Smart -glo by susan bates only sold in sets, there is a smaller hooks size set up to K and a largersize set they are just normal sized hooks made of plastic with glo in the dark material..joanns on line has them but I found them cheaper on amazon around 4.00 for set..or wait until joanns has hooks on sale I only know online cuz I don't have Hobby L or ac moores or any of those store here in my area or state that I know of..

to address the lazier in your eye annoying effect of the lighted type crochet hook I painted a little dark pink nail polish on some spots on them because that light also bothered me

• 2 months later...

I have a whole set of the Crochet Lite hooks and I love them but not for the fact that they light up. I actually don't use the light at all unless my 5 year old daughter insists that I do. I also find the light too bright and not beneficial.

Darn! :eek Now I have something else to add to my wish list! :hook I love taking my crochet with me in the car & it is hard to crochet in the dark without some type of light.

I like the light up hooks if I am going to be using a lot of black yarn. Have not tried it in the dark.

Has anyone tried the glow in the dark hooks? I might have missed it but did not see if anyone said they benefited them and how. Pls let us know if you use them and how well they work.

I'm funny about my hooks and just like to use the ones I am comfortable with. I'll work on the lighting before I change a hook.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new, but I have to share what I have been using which I LOVE LOVE LOVE! I look like such a dork when using it, but it's perfect... Dh's head flashlight! I love it. I can crochet in the dark. It shines right on the yarn, and makes it soo easy to see stitches :) I almost got those hooks, but since I wanted them all, the headlight was a lot more cheaper! :) It's totally fine and comfortable too, FWIW!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they were silly at first, but after sitting on a long bus ride in the dark with nothing to do, I was sure wishing I had one! lol

I haven't seen the ones with light up handles. The ones I have the hook itself lights up. I don't use them - it hurts my eyes to have such a bright point of light at the tip of my work.

Does anyone have a link to the ones with light up handles?

I have 2 of them hooks and i love them!!!. esp if im working with black yarn. that and I dont have good lighting in my house so I just pull that out and use it !!!!

Archived