8 inch squares for matching comfortghans/UPDATE POST 52

minwifeof4boys

In Navy, burgundy and off white

Over the last week we have been in constant communication with the National Bone Marrow folks . My husband signed up years ago... After more physicals and blood work he received the call that he was THE match for a marrow patient. Next week they begin the process of preparing both of them for the transplant.

We are fortunate they are bringing the recipient to Duke which is only an hour away from us...

For some reason the are having to do a procedure where my husband receives a series of daily shots of filgrastim to increase his stem cells as the recipient has his bone marrow destroyed... after my husbands bone marrow reaches a certain point they harvest the stem cells by pumping out of one arm/ filtering / and going in another..

This last procedure can take several hours... then the bone marrow is given to the recipient.

Since both of them will be at Duke I would like to make matching comfortghans for them.. I am proud of my husband for doing this and I will be there every step of the way.... and the patient has agreed to meet us and we are grateful to be able to pray with them ...

If you can help with this project I would appreciate it.... I would like to have the squares by the 20th of July....

PM me and I'll give you my addy and thanks in advance!:manyheart

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of yarn, bearing in mind the immuno-suppressed status of the recipient? Do you have information on what he or she can accept?

In other words, what's better: natural fiber or synthetic? Or a blend?

DCM

Lea,

I'd love to do this, but my stash of American worsted-weight yarn is small, and I don't have enough (if any) of these colors to make two squares alike...so I just wanted to let you know I'll pray for your husband the bm recipient. And I hope you get plenty of squares elsewhere. :yes

Lea,

I'd love to do this, but my stash of American worsted-weight yarn is small, and I don't have enough (if any) of these colors to make two squares alike...so I just wanted to let you know I'll pray for your husband the bm recipient. And I hope you get plenty of squares elsewhere. :yes

That's better then a square!! Thank you so much!:hug

I would love to join in on this one. How many squares are you

going to need. Pm me your address, they will be in the mail next

monday. Many blessings will be returned to you for what you are doing.

Your husband is really brave :manyheart

I'm flummoxed (which doesn't happen all that often--congratulations! :lol).

I seem to remember a set of links somewhere here at Crochetville to patterns for blocks of different sizes, e.g., 6", 8", 10", 12", etc., but now I can't find such a list hereabouts.

Is there one, or should I just pull out one of my books of motifs and get to work?

Thank you all!

DCM

I would also like to send a couple of squares. I have been on the registry for 6 years now, and never got the call. I just hope when I do, that I am as brave as your husband is. Please pm me your address and I will send them out. God Bless You, Your Husband and the Receipient. :manyheart

I'm flummoxed (which doesn't happen all that often--congratulations! :lol).

I seem to remember a set of links somewhere here at Crochetville to patterns for blocks of different sizes, e.g., 6", 8", 10", 12", etc., but now I can't find such a list hereabouts.

Is there one, or should I just pull out one of my books of motifs and get to work?

Thank you all!

DCM

Crochet pattern Central has their blocks listed like that if that helps.

I have 4 to go out this coming week, let me know if you are in need of more.

Archived