Filet Crochet Carriage or Crib Cover - Baby Animals

Becks

I've been working on a filet crocheted crib cover for a while now.

I've never really done a large filet project. Only a few small things. So this was a challenge for me.

It all started because I found this really great-looking pattern on etsy and I had to get it.

It was an old filet graph pattern that looks like a Laura Wheeler / Alice Brooks type. (Although there is no mention of their names on the pattern). The pattern is simply called Design 915. There's no date either. It just says printed in U.S.A. at the bottom.

I used size 10 crochet DMC Cebelia crochet thread. Six colors and I had to order two skeins, (or are they called balls?), of each color in order to finish each square. So that's 12 skeins/balls. Plus two pastel rainbow skeins/balls of South Maid size 10 thread for the border.

Also a steel Boye size 7 1.65mm crochet hook.

I had major cramping and numbness in my right hand from using such a small hook and I could only do a little at a time.

I know you're supposed to "block" this type of crochet but I haven't done that.

I probably should have done that to each square prior to attaching them all and putting on the border. I'd appreciate any advice from those of you familiar with thread crochet on what to do. It tends to want to curl in along the border in different areas. (It's not too bad though.)

I love the vintage look of these critters. They sure don't make designs like this anymore.

post-641-135897669736_thumb.jpg

post-641-135897669739_thumb.jpg

Turned out great. You did a wonderful job on this.

It should quit the curling when you block it. I block something like that on my carpeted floor in my bedroom. Put down a clean sheet between it and the carpet and pin it out directly to the floor. I hand wash it first, Roll up in a towel and gently squeeze to remove excess moisture. You want to pin it out when it is damp. Measure each side to make sure you have it squared or in this case, rectangled.

Sorry your hand cramped. Thankfully mine doesn't with the small hooks. But a lot of people that do have problems like that do cushion the hooks and find it helps them.

That is gorgeous! I have problems with my hands when I do any crocheting. I love the clover steel hooks. They have a cushioned grip. I like to crochet-lite or clover when crocheting with yarn.

It's beautiful! If it's a cover, I wouldn't starch it too much - only use the starch mixed with water. It will keep the proper shape and won't be too stiff.

Beautiful work! Those critters sure are cute!

I love crocheting with thread.....but when I go back to it after using the larger hooks/worsted weights for awhile, I have to get used to it again!

What a beautiful job ou did making it and I love the colors. One thing that may help your hand cramping is using Susan Bates Bamboo handle crochet hooks I got the whole set of steel hooks and makes it comfortable for crocheting.

Just gorgeous blankie! I also use the hooks with larger handles when I'm having problems. Love the Clover ones, but BTW make sure the size is really what you want. The steel Clover hooks have different sizing than the Susan Bates or Boye ones. I was using one of their #7s for something & it came out really tiny. Finally looked at the millimeters & had to change the hook size.

Archived