Gege's Watermelon Tote

happy stitcher

When I saw this thread awhile back, I made myself a note to make it for ME. I just loved it, and wanted one for myself. :manyheart

I ordered the kit from etsy. It was a really easy and fun project. I've enjoyed carrying it around.

I chose not to line it, but I'm now the lookout for one of those purse organizer things that will fit it well.

The handles are attached with black ribbon.

post-8399-13589766785_thumb.jpg

post-8399-135897667854_thumb.jpg

post-8399-135897667858_thumb.jpg

Your purse is really adorable!

There is a pattern out there for a felted divider, but I am allergic to wool so I made my own purse dividers using worsted weight cotton and an F hook to keep the sts tight. I made 2 dividers for a very large purse that was wide open inside.

My first try was with Cotton Ease which is only half cotton, and I discovered it stretches too much, so I went to 100% cotton in Peaches & Creme, and Sugar 'n Cream.

I just picked out one of the tallest items that I wanted to keep standing in my purse. This happened to be a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I made a chain the length of the body, around the bottom, and the length of the body again. I did not include the height of the cap. After that, I did sc with the F hook, back and forth until I had a rectangle almost the width of my purse. I worked back and forth to make the rectangle on purpose, because it would now have built in guidelines for making my dividing lines. Had I worked the long way, from end to end, it would be more difficult to line up.

I changed colors every few rows, but I'm sure many people would use a single color. So, I had to tie off and weave in the ends. Next, I sewed up the side ends using sc thru the back lps only, then turned it inside out, only because I happen to like this look and it gives a little space from front to back. Next, I picked a color for the top edge, and did 1 rnd of sc, tied that off, and wove in the ends. It gives a little nicer appearance to do the top edge before the dividers.

To make the divisions, I got out all the items I wanted to put in these 2 cute pouch like holders, and decided what would go in each pouch. I had a long wallet, hand sanitizer bottle, small comb and brush that I wanted to stand upright, bottle of prescription nasal spray, checkbook and long slim ID folder the size of the checkbook, and a couple pill bottles.

I just fit my first item at the end, decided where to place a diving line, and sewed thru both layers in the way you do surface crochet, following a sc row from bottom to just under the top edging. I continued to do this for both pouches until everything fit, then I went back to tie off and weave in the ends. I would not tie these off as you work, in case you have to move them.

I have had so many complements on these, and they were honestly so easy to make. Both of my dividers ended up being made totally from leftover cotton from other projects, and they are wearing like iron so far.

:lol Thanks Deb!

Real Deal, I like your home-made divider idea. I may have to give that some consideration! Thanks for the suggestion!

I appreciate all the praise, everybody. :) It really is a simple and fun pattern. It's one of those "instant gratification" projects. Fast and easy, with fun results! :cheer

Gege has a hilarious blog - I've been following it forever. She is about to have her first baby so hasn't posted for a while but she is a hoot and a nice gal......

I've always loved that purse. Great job on it!

kuddles

Archived