HELP!! Metallic thread twists on itself!

PuppyMom

I'm attempting to make a small doily for our black granite master bath. I'm TRYING to use Royale Metallic Thread #10 in gold, using the suggested size 7 hook. Maybe it's me, but the stuff twists unmercifully back into itself. I've tried everything, from re-winding (my hubby was kind enought to hold onto a horizontal pencil with the ball around it), to using a vertical wooden rod, both methods requiring the ball itself to actually spin, keeping the thread from twisting off the ball. Nothing has worked. I don't have this problem with other #10 thread.

I had to get a few other projects out of the way before I could start this one, and I was really psyched! Now I'm just "dazed and confused". Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It just does that. I find it really annoying. The only thing I've found that helps of to work off the ball and every so often hang the doily in the air and let it unwind. Just make sure that the hook is secure so you don't end up frogging any of it.

all the metallic thread does this...and if you hold a strand of sewing thread with size 10 it will twist up badly... I agree with Rosered let it unwind occasionally and things should go smoother

Thanks for the replies, although both were the "B" answer ;)

For me, it's just not worth it....I'm going to chalk it up as a learning moment and chuck the whole project. The aggravation, along with the small price I paid for the ball just isn't worth the annoyance.

• 3 weeks later...

I once made a whole doily in gold metallic thread! :eek But it was a special order so I was motivated. Nowadays, I only use it for little things or accent color in doilies.

Goodness me......I made a few snowflakes with gold metallic thread and silver metalic thread........it was twisting up so bad but I kept on going as these snowflakes were Christmas gifts for my grown children's Xmas trees!! The crochet thread was a pain, but in the end result was worth the pain and aggravation of this crochet thread!!:eek :eek :lol

Archived