Shaping armholes?

newtocrochet1976

Question

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right section or not if not sorry.

I am working on making myself a cardigan, just a simple hdc, but I'm not sure on shaping for the armholes:think

Could anyone point me in the direction of some instructions, I just need the approximate idea of how to do this:hook

Thanks so much:hug

x

2 answers to this question

The body armhole depends on what kind of sleeves you want. Are you making set-in sleeves, or modified drop shoulder, or angled armholes? (I'm assuming you aren't making a raglan sweater.)

If set-in sleeves, you'll need to know your cross-back measurement from shoulder-point to shoulder-point. This will be in the range of 13-17" and will help you figure out how many sts you need to get rid of at each armhole.

For example, say your sweater has a 40" total bust measurement, and your cross-back measurement is 15" and you are working your cardigan in pieces (1 back and 2 fronts).

That means the back will be 40/2 = 20" across.

20" - 15" = 5" worth of sts to get rid of at the armholes.

5/2 = 2.5" worth of sts to get rid of at EACH armhole.

If your gauge is 3 hdc = 1", then you need to get rid of 3 x 2.5 = 7 or 8 sts at each armhole for the back (and the same number on each front piece).

You'd do this by doing a straight bit of about 4 sts (slip st over 4 sts, then work to last 4 sts and turn). Then a curved bit made by dec 1 st each side every row or every other row 3-4 times. Then work straight until armhole depth is reached.

Of course, now you have a lovely armscye, but you'll have to figure out how to shape the sleeve cap, which is the next challenge.

Good luck with your cardigan!

Edie Eckman

Archived