xoseveredheartox

Yarn "bombing" ? what is your view?

so i was looking around on the web and came across this article... Yarn Bombing i must say that i am intrigued to say the least...i would be highly amused to see some crochet and knit turn up all over. although i would have to say some people may view it as a distraction among other things.

what is your take on this art form they call yarn bombing?

Personally I can think of better uses for the time and yarn, charity projects for instance. MHO

Personally I can think of better uses for the time and yarn, charity projects for instance. MHO

that is very true... i just think that its a very odd way of these people leaving their mark all over the place. they have covered so many things and no doubt they look beautiful but i do see your point. i also would most likely rather sit at home and crochet for charity rather then risk getting in trouble with the law for something so silly. im very torn on the whole idea... the artist in me is like wow thats beautiful art work and the practical part of me in like hmmm that yarn would make a beautiful (insert project here) and could make someone very happy.

Overall I think it is a waste of yarn and time; have people completely run out of ideas for crocheting/knitting to cover themselves and things in their own homes and yards, or like Peggy said, for charitable donations?

i've seen photos of things that I thought were neat looking, like a tree covered w/ doilies. in that article the spirally ones look decorative to me, and might cheer up somebody's day, but the red and black one is just plain ugly imo.

The article says that the city considers it litter and will remove it when they find it. What is the point of creating extra work for the city employees and causing the yarn to end up in the landfill? Why not do installations in places where you can get permission to do it and then go back after a while and remove it? If the pieces are left up, after a few weeks/months in the weather, the yarn is going to be getting dirty and starting to disintegrate so it would need to be removed at that point. also as far as covering parts of trees, i don't think that can be very good for the tree as it grows.

Overall I think it is a waste of yarn and time; have people completely run out of ideas for crocheting/knitting to cover themselves and things in their own homes and yards, or like Peggy said, for charitable donations?

i've seen photos of things that I thought were neat looking, like a tree covered w/ doilies. in that article the spirally ones look decorative to me, and might cheer up somebody's day, but the red and black one is just plain ugly imo.

The article says that the city considers it litter and will remove it when they find it. What is the point of creating extra work for the city employees and causing the yarn to end up in the landfill? Why not do installations in places where you can get permission to do it and then go back after a while and remove it? If the pieces are left up, after a few weeks/months in the weather, the yarn is going to be getting dirty and starting to disintegrate so it would need to be removed at that point. also as far as covering parts of trees, i don't think that can be very good for the tree as it grows.

i agree...its not practical at all. i could see maybe getting the permissions to do it for say the holiday time and maybe put a cute scarf and hat on a statue or something. i mean yes some of it is very pretty to look at but as you said it will become weathered and look trashy, i also dont think it would be good over time for the trees as you also said. i guess this is yet another creative endeavor that people have tried, it seems that it is simply being used as a not so well thought about outlet for creativity... but then again there are tons of people out there that do mindless things because they feel thats what they need to do... as i said before i am beyond torn on the matter... but i do like the idea of around the holidays dressing up statues or railings on public stair wells...some of what i have seen is really just a matter of taking it too far!

To each his or her own, whatever floats your boat! I have GIVEN things to people in public places, but i think yarn bombing is a personal choice, as is making items that are i don't know, frivolous i guess such as food items and "everything" keepers, it's a matter of ones own personal taste and preference. So in essence i guess Im saying, don't have a desire to do cover a tree, or a statue,, however won't condem those that do, and would certainly stop and look if I saw it, and know that someone is doing their own thing! IT's all about doing what you enjoy doing!

Edited by katyallen8090

I think those were beautiful on the street lamps. I don't know if I would want to spend the time on it, but I would smile if I saw someone else doing it. :)

It's certainly not MY thing but if other people enjoy it - more power to them.

I know 1 woman who gets such a kick out of it. While I don't understand it - I wouldn't take away the happiness that it brings her.

I agree with those that say it's a waste.

Sure it can look nice and people like to look at it but the same can be said for graffiti. There is some nice to look at but it's a waste and it's vandalism.

It's certainly not MY thing but if other people enjoy it - more power to them.

I know 1 woman who gets such a kick out of it. While I don't understand it - I wouldn't take away the happiness that it brings her.

I think I can echo this sentiment!

While I understand that it is a matter of personal choice to do things like that, I agree that the yarn (and with the price of it rising almost daily makes me wonder how it can be afforded) can be used for other things. I, personally, am not impressed with it and yes, it is defacing (though a nicer way than some of the graffiti that is done) public property. If it makes them happy, well, so be it. Not something I would do. But that is just my humble opinion.

While I agree with "whatever floats your boat and do what makes you happy"....I think it's a total waste of yarn....especially if as soon as it's spotted by workers it's going to be taken down....use your yarn and time for something more productive...like donate to charity....or create a beautiful piece of art like a sweater and wear it in public....JMO as always....

I think it's a bit of of fun but I think it would be a shame to spend so long on something for it just to be thrown in a bin. Better to do it as an organised event so people could talk to those involved and get inspired to knit or crochet, although that might take the fun out of it if they enjoy it secretly popping up overnight I suppose. I don't think it's for me to decide if it is a waste of their time and wool though, it doesn't have to be practical and it's investigating the boundary between art/craft I suppose.

-I- wouldn't waste the yarn or time to do it, but if someone else wants to, heck who cares...:think

Not something I will ever do. I for one can think of so many other things to do with my time, energy and resourses. I trully don't think it makes crochet or knitting stand out in a good sense with the general public either. As some have said it borders on vandalism. But if it trips someone elses trigger, it's their choice.

I heard of a group who made hat/scarf sets and hung them on trees for the homeless. It's "bombing" and useful. I like the idea of giving statues hats/scarves, and if someone needed it they could take it. Whatever keeps your hook/needles going!

Ellie 13

Wow! I'm amazed noone chimed in to support Yarn Bombing. I just did my first installation last month for our town's 1st Fiber Arts Festival, and there are still a few small pieces around town.

I totally agree that I have many other things I would rather spend my crochet time on. But every one of my yarn bombs were made using Unfinished Objects, including some sweater sleaves and parts of blankets that were given to me or came in bags from garage sales, which were all just taking up space in my stash.

So yarn bombing can actually be an excellent way to show off all that work that went into a project you never plan to finish! I read somewhere that Yarn Bombing started as a way to use UFOs, and if you think of it that way, it's not a waste at all.

Here's my blog post about our yarn bomb experience: http://rememberingrowan.blogspot.com/2011/08/foray-into-yarn-bombing.html

Call me a fiuddy-duddy, but I don't get it. Maybe I'm too practical to see the point of using time and yarn for it, even if it's covering ugly utility poles. I also don't appreciate the work of the "artists" who cover buildings with fabric and put orange flags in Central Park. The buildings' architecture is impressive as art already, as is Mother Nature in the park.

There's several other threads about yarn bombing that are more positive about it. You could do a search if you're really interested.

Im really not following you Michele, ha ha, but one more thing to add, that I hadn't said before, I wouldn't do it, not in a frivolous manner per say, but the hat scarf thing for the homeless, wouldn't really be there long before someone grabbed them, so that might be an outlet, as for unfinished objects, I probably would rather just frog them, and use the yarn in a more useful way, but as I said up there ^ in another post, to each his or her own!

Laurinda, i think doing this in conjunction with a fiber festival makes sense. Some of the pics on your blog I think are very appealing, esp. the statue of the little girl. I think people attending a fiber fest would be able to really appreciate seeing the pieces in random places. So in that case i can see it as an artistic thing to do. :artist

I just think its a waste of resources to put up scraps of crochet or knitting for no particular reason, and if city employees then have to take them down and put them in the trash, it's even more of a waste in my opinion.

I wouldn't want to spend the time and effort on something that wasn't going to last very long either. What might be more fun/interesting would be to make "statues" out of crochet - for example crochet a large tree or cactus or animal or a replica of a house or a car. Maybe even a giant sized crocheted doll house or something. Then display those for a couple of days in random places. Maybe with a flyer that tells a little bit about crochet or knitting or a bit of the process and tell where people could learn more about it. That way it is still kind of fun to see these crocheted items "pop up" over night, but it isn't destructive or vandalism since it can be removed easily. And it could be educational that way.

Ah see now, I can never seem to bring myself to pull out all those stitches and frog a nice piece of fabric I've made, even if I'll never use it. So this is the perfect outlet for me.

Read my blog post about how the kids at the festival made it into a sort of self directed scavenger hunt. The people who were excited about the yarn bombs around town were actually the non-yarny people. It even made the paper (with the picture of the little girl, whose sweater was also a UFO left from my mother's stash, she just never sewed up the sleaves), and the local business association specifically requested I leave a few of them up.

I was just kind of surprised that all the comments here were so negative, because I've seen soo much enthusiasm for it elsewhere. But of course, to each their own.

My thought for next year is to take some of the squares we will be collecting for my blanket project, sew them into strips to put on trees just to show off for the festival, and then take them down (wash them thoroughly), and sew them into blankets to donate.... Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and still give to a good cause!

Im really not following you Michele, ha ha, but one more thing to add, that I hadn't said before, I wouldn't do it, not in a frivolous manner per say, but the hat scarf thing for the homeless, wouldn't really be there long before someone grabbed them, so that might be an outlet, as for unfinished objects, I probably would rather just frog them, and use the yarn in a more useful way, but as I said up there ^ in another post, to each his or her own!

i think in this case, the context makes a lot of difference. the article linked in the original post of this thread is no longer available. It talked about how in that particular city, the yarnbombs were considered litter and city employees would have to deal with it as litter---that to me is a great waste. it means that yarn that could keep somebody warm is adding to the landfill.

the idea of displaying the piece outdoors, then washing it and giving it to a charity is quite different imo, not wasteful at all. also if the city wants the yarnbombs displayed that is very different too.