Helping Veterans Blanket Project

BPitard

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have time to post now, but my post this morning was far to vague. the 7 blankets is a result of my being a part of Soldiers Angels. Normally I do donate to a local Veterans Shelter or military hospital - Ido have a plan.

sorry, have to get back to work.

... Now, to answer your question in the briefest of ways, mine is a very small unregistered charity. Right now I have 6-10 ladies who send me squares regularly and I assemble them into blankets. (Yes, its is just me doing the assembly - and it takes me 2-3 weeks per blanket). We are just now completing our first large project (7 blankets for one family of a Veteran in need) and will continue making blankets and decide where they go as we make them - most likely Vet. Hospitals and Shelters in my area...

Wow -- what do they say about "Great minds think alike?" :) I am pleasantly surprised that you too, are involved with Soldier's Angels but confused as to why you would not have said that to start with and why you would not put that on your website and Facebook. I quoted the lines from your previous post above, and underlined the parts that told me you were only participating in an "unregistered, small charity" as you put it, and would "decide where they go as we make them." That is why I suggested Soldier's Angels -- so you could be part of a more organized effort where they had access to the "needs" information. If you had just said upfront that you were assembling afghans to donate through Soldier's Angels, I would have understood -- especially after I asked you direct. I sincerely thought I was providing you with some options you might not have considered.

I really do like to help especially when someone has a VA project going but I wanted to know more about your project. I hope you understand. I would ask a lot of questions whether I am donating money, time, or crochet projects. I just like to know what I'm doing is worthwhile.

Was your first big afghan gift a personal "adoption" or "team donation?" I want to try to help as many places as I can, but can't do them all -- so I think I'll just go ahead with sending my crocheted items in direct to the Sewing and VA teams with Solider's Angels. I wish you a huge success with your ghans as well! Nice to know we will be contributing to the same cause and I would really think about disclosing that on your website & Facebook! It's a positive! ♥

I just wanted to send a public THANK YOU for taking the time to send me a PM answering all of my many questions and explaining your project so thoroughly. I will try out your pattern and send you some squares as soon as I can. I have one project that has to be finished first and then will work on yours. :) I know it is not necessary to know every detail of a donation project but I have found that it makes me feel better to ask my questions up front. I learned a lot from your answers and want to again convey my appreciation for all you are doing for our veterans! It is a shame so many have fallen on hard times. I think handmade items let them know the most important thing -- we care!

Beth, the box is on its way. It is supposed to arrive on Monday, June 20,

Please let me know that it arrives, it is insured.

Hi Janni

I just wanted to let you know I received your squares today! Thank you ever so much! I will be sending you a private message as well as posting a picture of the squares to the group (see my signature for the link).

Have a great day :)

Beth

They sure did! You do beautiful work too :) Glad to have you as part of the project. I don't know if you know how I do it, but I do equal squares for each participant - as of right now, I have about 8 - so assuming I dont get any more squares in the next week, 6 of your squares will be in the next blanket I make!

Hi Beth, I would love to help you with this project. I checked out facebook and saw those great afghans. Please PM me with the mailing address. Thanks!

Hi CynCyn

14 squares is enough for you to be included in at least 2-3 blankets. It depends on how many blankets you want to be in :) You can always send more than one package - and I will let you know when I run out of your squares :)

Program Update: I have only 4 squares left to add to Blanket #6 of 7 for the Hermann Family. If you HAVE SQUARES IN THE MAIL for this project, PLEASE send an email to hugs4heroes@Gmail.com and let me know and I will wait for your squares to arrive before I start the next blanket. If your squares are not yet mailed, please don't stress - I will use them in the next blanket. This IS an ongoing project.

Hi Beth, Just wanted to let you know I mailed a few squares your way. I see that this will be on "on-going" project so I'll make more squares when I can and send them your way!! Liz

Brenda,

I received your squares and sent you a private message. THANK YOU!!!!

Beth

You are welcome. I can't believe they got there so fast and that :xfin all (3 ?) arrived the same day.

Archived