I was wondering?!

AshyN

I was just wondering...

I have this real bad problem with giving my stuff away that I crochet. I'm wanting to make money off of it, But I can't seem to not feel the need to share. My boyfriend says I should buy a tote and store all the crochet goods in it and forget about them and the next time there is a craft show going on we will take the tote and sell my work. Which is a very good idea. So I was wondering what everyone else does? Do you keep you goods, share them, or sell them at craft sales?

I, like you, usually end up giving things away or making something someone in the family wants. I do put some of my things in my Etsy store. At least it pays for yarn! lol

HI:

Well i for one try and sell what i make cause I am disabled and no cash coming in .

At the same time I am a very giving person and I am always gifting some of my crochet items as gifts for christmas gifts..

So really either way you decide is good.

hugs

Lillibet

LOL that's my problem though I give so much stuff away that it don't pay for yarn.

moomoo,

I made my grandma a scarf and a beanie for christmas bc she loves going to football games and she was complaining it was so cold...and she absolutely loved them and it made me feel so good inside. but ppl are so used to me giving that they expect it lol I need to stop. :(

that is my issue, I've only sold 2 afghans I've made. that was beacuse someone asked me to make them an gave me the money to buy the yarn then paid me for my time.,

hubby wish's Id' sell what I make. he said I may as well do somethign with everything I make. but I end up liking everything I make and want to keep it LOL!. I would at least like to make enough for yarn money or other extra fun money for myself lol.

I usually end up giving my stuff away - I like to get yarn from yard sales, craigslist, good will and thrift shops - etc....but if someone wants something from my stash (friends know I usually have 3 or 4 baby blankets lying around) they will pay me for it, or if someone makes a special request I ask they cover the yarn or buy the yarn and give it to me (I usually tell them how much of it they will need to provide) - they usually give me a little more because they understand the effort - but I don't outright advertise/sell/show etc....I just don't want to deal with all that...and I enjoy having stuff around that people want :) ..... and many times those baby blankets that are lying around end up as baby shower gifts - I always seem to have something available....and it is usually appreciated more than something I could buy.

I do both....for family and close friends I give them my handiwork for gifts. Then I also sell through my own website, on yardsellr.com and listia.com

It costs too much to give it all away!

• 9 months later...

I have always just made mine to give away. I enjoy making the items, but it is usually with someone in mind. Have only kept one for myself (at DH's insistance), I didn't like it, so it is squirrled away.Right now I am working on a checkerboard cat with checkers for greatniece and looking for a great pattern for a baby blanket for a beautiful couple due in July.

I personally don't sell at craft fairs. I do sell pieces done as special personal

orders. The person buys the yarn and pattern if needed and I charge a

few. I also donate afghans each month to Project Linus, chemo caps to

a local cancer center, hats,slippers,mittens, ans scarves to two woman+

children safe shelters. I am retired and have a lot of time for crochet

and knitting.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband suggested I start a shop. Since this is what I love to do. And I really couldn't be happier. I love what I do, and what I make. I am having my first craft show next month. It's really something you have to devote time and energy to, or it wont work. You really have to be dedicated. It's a business after all.

• 10 months later...

I am the same, I just cannot wait to share my creations!  Everyone says I should sell them, but most ppl are not willing to even pay for what you put into it!  So I end up making Christmas presents of most!  Here's a pic of what I made last year for Christmas.  It is a Christmas Card holderpost-39086-0-21731200-1362587561_thumb.jpg

I think putting the stuff in a box might help you "forget" what you have until you need it for your shows or however you plan on selling it.  I don't sell, but I do have trouble giving the stuff away that I have designated for specific donations/causes.  So I have started putting it in bags with the out of sight out of mind mentality.  It also means others don't see and have that puppy dog look in their eyes that I can't resist.  While in your case income is important.  I feel bad when I've made a pledge to donate X amount and end up short because others got to my stash first.

• 6 months later...

Sometimes it is worth more to me to give someone a piece of my work(especially if they want to pay me to make them something else).  Just a really good feeling.  It is entirely up to you  though.  If you can afford it, I would say to go ahead and share on occasion. 

Archived