Where do you go for help?

CLLinda

Sometimes, as a fairly new knitter, I run into a problem that I can't understand, in a pattern. So I usually try to look at the diagrams and really concentrate. But sometimes, I just can't understand by looking at a picture.

So then I go to You Tube. There's a lot of knitting videos, and it seems like whatever I am searching for, i.e. SSK, or KFB, someone has explained it through the videos. I just think this is a great resource.

So what do you do?

:manyheart

Sometimes, as a fairly new knitter, I run into a problem that I can't understand, in a pattern. So I usually try to look at the diagrams and really concentrate. But sometimes, I just can't understand by looking at a picture.

So then I go to You Tube. There's a lot of knitting videos, and it seems like whatever I am searching for, i.e. SSK, or KFB, someone has explained it through the videos. I just think this is a great resource.

So what do you do?

:manyheart

About the same as you, Linda. I learned to knit about 8 years ago from books. At that time I didn't know a single soul in this immediate area who knit; since that time I have learned of several scattered out here and there but no one I know well enough to call for help. My "local" yarn shop is about an hour away so that's not really a decent alternative. I really love KnittingHelp.com but have also learned tons from the Internet videos like YouTube. I do like two of my books in particular: Vogue Knitting and Knitting for Dummies. I think they are both excellent resources.

I'm with Carla, knittinghelp.com has great videos....I also rely on the people over at Ravely. I've asked many questions and have found everyone very helpful!

Youtube for me as well. I have to watch it being done - a picture just won't help. THANK goodness there's always a video for what I need help with. Isn't technology Grand????????

The same as all of you. Sometimes, though, I have no patience to wait for youtube to load so I don't use video. I just wing it. I find the principle of knitting to be similar to crochet so if I'm not sure of a stitch, I'll try to work it the way I think it must be and work it consistently through the pattern. I don't know if I'm right or wrong but my pieces don't look bad when done.:think

Picking up stitches is where I have problems, but I find the only way I've learned is through figuring it out by doing it on my own. There are times, I've messed up, but I've never made the same mistake twice.:)

I find YouTube to be an invaluable resource but I also have a WONDERFUL LYS in town. The owners are the most helpful women I have ever met. They are always willing to help. :yes

I find YouTube to be an invaluable resource but I also have a WONDERFUL LYS in town. The owners are the most helpful women I have ever met. They are always willing to help. :yes

I don't have a LYS that has friendly people in it.:) So I have to go on YouTube.:manyheart

• 7 months later...

my problem is that i cannot learn from a video...the talking confuses me. I learn better reading a tutorial and looking at still pictures but there are not that many out there. So when i have a major issue i just get on skype with my knitting sister and she talks me through.

I never thought if using Skype like that! Clever idea!!

(I don't think I have ever used it before or know anyone to use it with. Lol but still a great idea!!!)

I would love some to call me to ask for help :) granted I had my makeup on hahaha

Archived