Four Color Spiral

chillrr

Question

So, I started working on the Four-Color Spiral from "The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet" page 160 (skill level - experienced). I love this book and I love this pattern, however, I have no desire to make a whole bunch of 'squares' and sew them together (those following my thread in the thread section about losing my ever loving mind will understand why :lol).

So, I figured I would just keep going - and it looks cool. I'm up to 12 single double crochets (1 stitch in 1 stitch below) and 2 single double crochet (2 stitches in 1 stitch below otherwise known as the increase)....if that makes sense...and I repeat this pattern 3 times...the book finishes at round 6 with an increase in the 5th stitch....I am begining to curl so I'm thinking I need to start doing more increase....and thought maybe I need to go back to increasing every 5th stitch (and do 6 sets instead of 3) and then every 6th and then every 7th....and then when I start curling again going back to every 5th (with 9 sets)...etc....until it's the size I want........if that makes sense.....

What do you all think?

post-42009-135897662617_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Wow, this looks really fun and I would love to try it! I think your blanket is looking amazing Chillrr! I would like to give it a shot but I am not good at "winging it" so to speak, after the pattern tells you to basically "just keep going and keep increasing"....how do you know when and where to increase and how often? :(

Cujo - I just kept following the general idea.....Now that it is starting to curl, I figured I had to up it a bit....I did end up instead of doing three sets of stitches for the increase (pattern repeats) I am doing 6 and I restarted at 6 stitches inbetween the double-stitches.....if that makes any sense at all....I figure by the time I get to 12 again, I will end up going back to the six and doing 9 sets of pattern repeats - maybe it will be large enough by then - I will keep posting picks as I move forward - course, now my brain is working on what I would do as an edging...and which color I would use.....

I wind up doing that with patterns. I do the best I can as far as counting, but I can't just sit and crochet in a quiet room, so if I happen to get distracted by dogs or TV or what have you, and miscounted, when the pattern starts to curl, I just wing it.

I'm becoming a Goddess of fixing it after it's crocheted! LOL. That blanket does look beautiful, though. It's amazing what sort of beautiful things can simply be created instead of bought in a store somewhere. :D

Archived