Tunisian Learning and Crocheting-Along

Beverooni

I added this to my blog reader...hoping to see it move into more complex territory, especially lacy designs. I just received the size L Denise tunisian hook that I won back in December (it went to my US address, of course, and they were *really* slow about sending it on), and I'm itching to try something with it.

Hey, I tought myself the basics of tunisian at the beginning of the year and I love it! Im slower at it than 'normal' crochet but I love how it turns out. I recently ordered 101 easy tunisian stitches and I am waiting for it to arrive! I will definitely put this blog in my favourites too.

• 3 weeks later...

The blog is gone. :worried I bought myself a Tunisian hook forever ago, intending to teach myself how, but I never got around to it. I'd love to learn. I can't figure out how to knit, no matter how I try, so I wonder if I'll be able to learn to do Tunisian crochet.

Take a look at crochetcabana or chezcrochet for more Tunisian stuff. I know that one of the online instructors here also has a blog, but I'm not sure of the url or whether she focuses *just* on Tunisian.

DCM

• 7 months later...

I'm making a couple of mittens just now and I've made another couple in 2010.

The pics are the start of the ones I'm making now. The red/purple ones are the ones from 2010. You see them from both inside the hands and the back of the hands.

I'm sorry the pics are not the best.

post-42089-135897730366_thumb.jpg

post-42089-135897730371_thumb.jpg

post-42089-135897730375_thumb.jpg

post-42089-135897730377_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.titillatingtunisian.blogspot.com is a new blog that is helping others learn to do Tunisian and will have Tunisian crochet-alongs, etc. as you learn. You can join any time.

I clicked on the link but Blogspot says there are no posts and there are no members. Am I missing something?:think

Hey, I tought myself the basics of tunisian at the beginning of the year and I love it! Im slower at it than 'normal' crochet but I love how it turns out. I recently ordered 101 easy tunisian stitches and I am waiting for it to arrive! I will definitely put this blog in my favourites too.

I just got that book from the library to see if I would like it and it is now on my wishlist. There are some very nice looking stitches in it that I would love to experiment with. One thing I found odd about it though, the stitches are only numbered; none of them have names.

I am enjoying my adventures in Tunisian, simple return passes are like a mini-meditation. :manyheart

I started a little tote bag for my young niece's yarn and WIP's by having her choose a stitch from the 101 Easy Tunisian Stitches. I too found it odd that the stitches were numbered rather than named. I had no idea that Tunisian was one or two sided. It's really interesting and fun. I recommend the classes offered here.

One thing I found odd about it though, the stitches are only numbered; none of them have names.

I've always been confused about the desire to name stitch patterns. I understand the age-old stitch patterns having names. But, it seems counter-productive to name newer stitch patterns. Even if they are named in one book, they could just as easily be given four or five different names in other books.

• 1 month later...
I've always been confused about the desire to name stitch patterns. I understand the age-old stitch patterns having names. But, it seems counter-productive to name newer stitch patterns. Even if they are named in one book, they could just as easily be given four or five different names in other books.

You have a point, if only everyone would use the same name, it would be easier. I think names are easier to remember, especially when they more-or-less describe the stitch pattern. Maybe it's societal conditioning but it feels funny to me to ask for help with '#154' instead of 'blankety-blank stitch'. :lol

You have a point, if only everyone would use the same name, it would be easier. I think names are easier to remember, especially when they more-or-less describe the stitch pattern. Maybe it's societal conditioning but it feels funny to me to ask for help with '#154' instead of 'blankety-blank stitch'. :lol

Definitely true. It *would* make it easier if everyone could use the same name, but it would be impossible. All publishers of stitch dictionaries are working in their own bubbles, just like the designers and authors all working in their own little bubbles all over the world.

I recently created 50 new stitch patterns, straight out of my head. Even if they have been published before (which is doubtful), in order for me to truly know would mean that I would have to consult every stitch dictionary ever published from all over the world just to see if someone else had published something like it solely so that I could provide the same name. It would have been impossible and I am forced to number them instead.

• 3 months later...
I would love to learn how to do tunisian crochet. I had tried awhile back but I could not get it.

I have several books available on Tunisian crochet, listed here:

http://www.kimguzman.com/books.html

In addition to the DVD in one of my books, I also have YouTube videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/crochetkim

I also teach online classes in Tunisian crochet on the 'ville and will have many more resources available by the end of the year (just awaiting publication).

Archived