Crochet and fabric Sundress

Momcrochets

Took a bit more time, and sewing, than I first anticipated. But I got it. DD helped pick out the fabric, and had some input on what kind of look for the top. (segue: did you notice how many little girls clothes have crochet in them this year?! I was at target...and there are sundresses, and empire type tops with an open crochet top with flowy-fabric lower, to be worn over a tank. Yay crochet!)

post-7396-135897659326_thumb.jpg

(sorry about the sideways shot...turning it while it's on my camera and attached to the pc sucks battery life like crazy)

I used the daisy-lace stitch which I have in "crochet stitch bible" with charting, and pretty much winged it. that is lined with a light-weight knit (Stretchy) fabric, which matches the very lightweight cotton skirt. Following tips from various tutes, I basically had two rectangles, front and back, and gathered them to the width of the bodice. I handstitched them in place after pinning. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but there's a bit of an "underskirt". I cheated, lol. I bought extra yardage (and it worked out perfectly!:think with a bit of room to spare. not sure how that happened, lol) But I folded the skirt material lengthwise, somewhere close to 2/3s, and actually sewed a sort of casing along the fold (and used kitchen cotton yarn to gather the skirt)

It hardly looks it, but there's almost 3 full yards of skirt fabric in there! In part b/c of the layering, but also, the fabric is one that wants to "bunch" vertically, if that makes sense to you regular seamstress types. It would make great broom-stick skirts like the ones that were popular in the 90s (and are coming back, I think. Yay!) The selveges were in the side seams.

(sorry this is wordy, I hope it makes sense)

Oh, this is gorgeous! She looks so dainty and princessy. (Yes, I made up that word.) I love the blossoms and the pale pink — everything works together to look like a fairy tale. Just lovely. :manyheart

:)Looks like your dd absolutely loves her new dress! You did a fabulous job, and I love the color! You are very talented!

Since you hand-crocheted the top part, it's much better than those factory done ones in the stores. You are right, though, there is a lot of clothing with decorative crochet.

Thank you!

she sure has grown since you've seen her, cat3crazy :)

Yes, #1crochetfan, I agree. While I haven't closely examined the mass-produced crochet enhanced kids clothing, I'm sure the quality is not what handwork is. And this is more special, too. :)

I'm actually quite thrilled with how this turned out...no patterns, just winging it. Me and my sewing machine don't usually get along very well, but I can do straight lines. :P and a bit of hand stitching. and really, that's all this is. And she loves it too. :) Tutes can be dangerous--they make things look easy! :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived